Am I too old to shop in the Junior's department?

I hate shopping in the women's department because some of the clothes look so....old. But I hate shopping in the junior's department because then I feel like I'm trying to look younger, plus their stuff is always too tight or too low. For the Women's it's always too baggy or too high wasted. What's a girl to do? I normally shop online at the Gap or Old Navy, but if I walk into a normal department store I usually can't buy anything.

dawn_misayo

Asked by dawn_misayo at 4:24 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Shopping

• Honestly, it depends upon your body type more than your age. To some degree age matters as far as styles of clothing. However for the more classic pieces like jeans, its a matter of your body type. Juniors are meant to be cut smaller through the hips, have a lower rise, lower waist, etc.

Now as far as clothing that you would buy in the women's department...these clothes are made to fit a woman who has hips and breasts, typically the more common mom body.

My advice would be to find a good tailor. If shoulders are too broad, those can be fixed. If sleeves are too long, or area in the breasts is too big...more often than not it can be tailored to fit.
    SusanD

Answer by SusanD at 4:44 AM on May. 17, 2009

• theres stores that dont have a juniors department or a womens but they sell nice fitting clothes.get your size.go to the mall and go to different stores.
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 4:27 PM on May. 16, 2009

• mandees is one store that has really nice clothes and fit good
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 4:28 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I buy my pants and summer shirts in the junior's department and my nicer shirts like sweaters and long sleeved dressy shirts in women's.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:29 PM on May. 16, 2009

• these days i'm PLUS size all over lol but there was a time I was "junior" on bottom and "women" ontop and it was a pain in the ass, but it worked. dont some junior departments have SOME clothes at least that arent too young looking? like solid colors? these days I shop at goodwill or the hot topic clearance rack
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:30 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Try shopping at the discount stores, like Loehmann's or Filene's basement. You may find that petites are proportioned better for your shape.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:26 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I know how you feel. I' m in my 30's and the juniors is fun looking but way too tight and skimpy. The womens dept looks too old. It really depends on the store. Maybe try misses...
    paula405

Answer by paula405 at 6:46 AM on May. 17, 2009

• I bounce back and forth. I like jeans from the jr's dept because of the way they make my butt look. (I usually end up in a bigger size, though, because wearing jeans THAT tight can't be healthy!) I'm a firm believer, though that mommies shouldn't show off their tatas. I get a lot of shirts in misses or womens. The girls are on the larger side, and I worry that I look like "trampy mom"
    mmmommy0207

Answer by mmmommy0207 at 1:30 PM on May. 20, 2009