Doesn't it go against Christianity to judge another?

I am going to -assume- that my previous post got deleted because it wasn't a question, well. Now it is.

How can anyone judge another based on differences in belief (social, religious, political, or anything else), especially when they are also insulting the people they are judging, and yet still call themselves a Christian? Especially when you consider this?:

Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment that you pronounce you will be judged, and the measure you give will be the measure you get. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, "Let me take the speck out of your eye," when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.

Christianity. Matthew 7.1-5

_Jynxx_

Asked by _Jynxx_ at 4:31 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think I didn't see the previous post or what specifically you might be talking about. But don't confuse intolerance with judging. Alot of people confuse the two. Very different.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 4:32 PM on May. 16, 2009

• It's not deleted on my end.....
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:33 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Please keep the following things in mind:

I am not judging anyone. I am not placing all people who claim to be Christian, Pro-Life, anti-gay marriage, conservative, Republican, or anything else in an all-inclusive category. I do not care if you are pro-life or pro-choice, christian or wiccan or agnostic, anti-gay marriage or for it.

This post is only regarding those who use Christianity as a reason to justify judging or demeaning others that have differing opinions.

I do not necessarily think these people are true Christians, I do not think all Christians try to force their beliefs on others, are judgemental, or insult others. I do not ignore your right to think differently than myself.

I ONLY take issue with those who judge others, especially when they claim the bible as their support, and those who try to take away rights from others because they believe differently.
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 4:35 PM on May. 16, 2009

• You know what, it does go against Christianity...but I hate that you "make" it sound like it's all Christians, because it's not. And if you're so against judging, why are you judging Christians? Let God be the judge of those that insult you.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:35 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Hmm. I refreshed the page for the previous post, and it said it had been deleted.

And for the first poster, believe me, I am not.

I refer to those who say I shouldn't be a mother because I have tattoos, I am a murderer because I am pro-choice (regardless of the fact that I have never had an abortion, and doubt that I would), am stupid and crazy because I lean towards liberal, or that I will burn in hell for thinking same-sex marriage should be legally recognized. Essentially, I am referring to those who judge others, rather than leaving such a thing to God, and yet claim that God is their reason for doing so.
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 4:37 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Someone got their panties in a wad over your question, I'm sure :P

But you're totally right. I love that verse in the Bible that goes something like "he who is without sin, cast the first stone." I'm not even a friggin Christian, and I understand that.

But it's human nature to judge others. We don't like being judged, but we make subconscious judgments whether we want to or not. I think the line is drawn at whether you *accept* the person you're judging. For example. If a Christian person thinks homosexuality is bad, but still has gay friends, I think that's a good thing. Judging is one thing, shunning completely is another.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:38 PM on May. 16, 2009

---

How am I judging others?

I am asking a question.

I am not calling these people stupid or crazy. I am not saying they are damned.

I am merely asking why these people do what they do.

And you know darn well from my other 'question' regarding this that I am not lumping all Christians under this, as I have stated time and time again.

The majority of CHRISTIANS I know do NOT do such things.

Tell me, do you not understand what I have stated over and over again? or are you just choosing to ignore it?

I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT CHRISTIANS.

I AM talking about people who use Christianity as a shield for judgemental, rude, and mean
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 4:40 PM on May. 16, 2009

• lol, Apparently it IS still there.

Now THAT is strange. >_<;
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 4:42 PM on May. 16, 2009

• to answer you original question:not really. Here is an piece from a website(too lazy to type today)

Yes, we do have the right and the authority to judge the behavior of others as long as we honor and obey His Word doing it. That Jesus is the only one who can judge is speaking to judging whether someone is or is not saved. Neither you nor I nor anyone else who ever draws a breath (except Jesus) has the authority to say whether another has or has not been saved. Only Jesus can make that judgment since only He can give Salvation. Nor may we who discern poor behavioral based on His Word think of ourselves as "better than" the one whose behavior we judge as poor.

livingangle

Answer by livingangle at 4:43 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Yeah, Jynxx, the original hasn't been deleted on my end either. That's why I was about to come ine here and say let it go before you start sounding liek they do to us. But, since I read before I posted, I changed my mind.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 4:44 PM on May. 16, 2009