Anyone else have their school aged kids harnessed in car seats still?

Am I alone here? My oldest will be 7 next month and my middle one is 5 and they are both in Graco Nautilus seats harnessed. they will stay that way til they outgrow it by height or weight and they both have a way tro go. Anyone else still harness their kids?

tabi_cat1023

Asked by tabi_cat1023 at 4:40 PM on May. 16, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Absolutely! My 5 year old is still in a Britax Boulevard. Next year at about this time, he will be going into a Britax Frontier until he maxes out the weight or height of that, which could easily be quite a few years.
    Every step "up" in a carseat (rear-facing to forward-facing, 5-point harness to seatbelt) is a step DOWN in safety.
    You should keep your child rear-facing as long as possible, and in a 5-point harness as long as possible. Their life depends on it, and accidents can happen to ANYONE at ANYTIME.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 4:55 PM on May. 26, 2009

• My boys are 5 and 6 and are in boosters.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:49 PM on May. 16, 2009

• My oldest was harnessed until she was like 6 1/2 because she was so small for her age. She didn't hit 40lbs until she was 7. My middle daughter used the harness until she was 5. They are almost 9, 7 1/2 and 6 1/2 and all use boosters now. My son hasn't been harnessed since he was like almost 4 (he was pretty big for his age and we needed the booster with the harness straps for his older sister).
    Most of the kids around here don't even use booster seats past the age of 3/4 even though the law is 8 or 80lbs.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:22 PM on May. 16, 2009

• My kids both stayed harnessed until they were 6yrs (Britax Husky, then booster seat at 6) They are both very tall or I might have kept them harnessed longer.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:55 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I still have my 5.5year old in his harness. He will ride in it until he out grows the harness, then into booster set. My 7 year old rides in his booster and will until he is at least 8 (if not longer).
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 7:14 PM on May. 16, 2009

• My 6 year old is in a booster.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 8:22 PM on May. 16, 2009

• reading these I am really suprised. My pediatrician (in NJ) told me at my son's 4 year check up to move him to a child car seat and he was 36 pounds and about 75th percentile for height. I moved my daughter when she was 3 1/2 but she has a solid build. I don't know any kids in boosters after 4 1/2 but I don't know any really small kids either.
    Anonymous

• my kids are 5 and almost 4 and measure 43-48" and they are in boosters and/or car seat with a seat belt (no more 5 pt. harness b/c it bothered her ALOT)
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:52 PM on May. 16, 2009

• My son is nearly 7 and in a 5 point harness. He is not small for his age either. He will be in a regular booster soon. He likes his car seat and when made fun of by other kids he informs them he is safe and really doesn't care what they have to say. Two of his friends have asked their moms for car seats. lol
    Anonymous

• My 5yr. old is in a 5pt. harness carseat that will last until he is 65lbs. and then becomes a booster after that. Although he is plenty big enough for a booster, he is not yet mature enough to sit in one properly full time, plus he's safer in the harness. His older brother (8yrs.) uses a booster.
    Anonymous