How many different types of "pagan" religions are there?

I'm just so curious about different religions today, lmao.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 4:41 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Depends on which definition you're using

The reconstructionists are the Norse Heathens, Hellenists, Nova Roma, Zoroastrians (pre-Judiac middle eastern monotheism), plus all the shamanistic Native Americans - different variations for each tribe. Then the Wiccans, which can be regular, Christian, or atheistic. Plus the Satanists who aren't really Pagans, but again, definition. Then the Buddhists, Sikh, Hindu, Taoists, plus all the aboriginals in the Pacific (New Zealand, Hawaii, etc). And the Rastafarians. Oh, and South America, forgot those.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:50 PM on May. 16, 2009

• It depends on how you look at the word 'Pagan'. And, when it comes to Wicca, there are sooo many different pantheons and gods/goddess, sub-groups, traditions, etc, that to count every one of them separately would probably take a century, lol.

What do you mean by the word 'Pagan', and do you wish to include sub-traditions or just the 'major', 'blanket' term?
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 5:07 PM on May. 16, 2009

• From the Pagan Primer at ecauldron.net:
    When many people think of modern Pagan religions, they think of Wicca. While Wicca is probably the largest Pagan of the modern Pagan religions and certainly gets the most media attention, there are actually many Pagan religions. Listed here are a few of the religions that many consider to fall under the collective term "Pagan":

* Asatru
    * Church of All Worlds
    * Discordianism
    * Druidry
    * Feri
    * Gwyddons
    * Hellenismos
    * Kemeticism
    * Religio Romana
    * Religious Witchcraft
    * Senistrognata
    * Thelema
    * Wicca

And sometimes individuals and sub-groups of the following religions self-identify as Pagan:

* Candomble
    * Demonolatry
    * Santeria
    * Satanism (Theistic Satanists are the most likely
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 5:30 PM on May. 16, 2009

• CONT'D-- still from ecauldron's Pagan Primer:

* Satanism (Theistic Satanists are the most likely to identify as Pagan)
    * Voudon

Not only are there other Pagan religions besides those listed here, but many of these religions have sub-divisions (denominations/sects/traditions) within them. "

Feel free to ask about any of these that interest you, any preconceptions you have, or anything that is confusing - if you're asking in honest curiosity you will be sure to find lots of knowledgeable answers!
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 5:33 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Wow, goodness. Thanks, you guys =] I had no idea there were so many.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:52 PM on May. 16, 2009

• That number could change daily. I am an Eclectic pagan witch. My pagan religion could be very different from that of other eclectic pagan witches though. There are many pagan paths with set or semi-set beliefs (wicca for example) but then there are more personal paths that fall under paganism that are more personal and don't have any set beliefs, each follower believes differently.

Like christianity there are many many interpretations and personal paths along with untold numbers of set paths... There are just to many to ever be numbered...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:06 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I agree with Sabrina, for myself, I am a Celtic Norse Witch. I suppose you could also add both green and kitchen witches to that as well.

The basic point is that there are probably as many types of Pagan paths as there are Pagans. Does that help at all? lol
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 6:16 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Its not called an individual path for nothing LOL.

What I believe and hold dear and true is probably not the same as others. Just like the PP's said.

I love that list from ecauldron tho, thx for putting that up.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:53 PM on May. 16, 2009

• And you know, none of this includes New Age, which is a whole new ballgame, some of which people from more traditional eclectic pagan paths will borrow, but a lot of it is people who want nothing to do with "paganism" and just consider themselves spiritual. Those are the ones that are very into crystals and homeopathy and humanism or spiritualism but don't like to define it beyond that.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:03 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Quoting myself: "Feel free to ask about any of these that interest you, any preconceptions you have, or anything that is confusing - if you're asking in honest curiosity you will be sure to find lots of knowledgeable answers!"

I did NOT mean that as condescending as it sounded, and it wasn't necessarily aimed at you, Caitxrawks... mostly it was general to anyone who might have questions. Of COURSE you're asking from honest curiosity, and didn't need a penny lecture on it... that wasn't my intent at all.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 7:35 PM on May. 16, 2009