Need help immediately

I am on hold with the doctor's office so don't think I'm sitting around doing nothing. But, I let my son have some of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and his face has hives all over it. His eyes are red. I put hydrocoritzone cream on him. It is only on his face. Do you think it's from him rubbing the peanut butter on his face when he was eating? If it was an allergy wouldn't it radiate elsewhere? I have benadryl in front of me but don't know how much to give. He's 10 months. I thought he'd be fine b/c he's eaten a peanut butter cookie, etc before just never a peanut sandwich. I feel so bad :(

I work for a children's hospital too but in cardiology..we don't have these problems there lol

a_and_j_momma

Asked by a_and_j_momma at 4:43 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Health

• Your doc and everyone else is going to jump you for giving him peanut butter so young. i'm gonna go against the grain and tell you that both my kids had peanut butter around 6 months. i wasn't pleased with it, but my FIL (who is a stinking doctor) gave it to them. So don't beat yourself up too much, now you know what happens, you can't take it back, you didn't now this would happen. i don't know how much benadryl to give him. Also, something else to consider, if the jelly was strawberry, it could be that and not the peanut butter. Strawberries are considered high allergy foods too.

Anonymous

• It could be an ingredient in the bread.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 4:49 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I just gave him some benadryl, I was on hold with the doctor's office FOREVER! I just needed dosage info.

Good call Eirelass. He's never had white bread before
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 4:51 PM on May. 16, 2009

• You can be exposed to something a bunch of times without a reaction before becoming allergic.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:53 PM on May. 16, 2009