What do you tell a 3 year old that fusses about what clothes you pick out?

OK. Sometimes I pick out my daughter's clothes & sometimes I let her pick them or else pick between 2 outfits or 2 pair of pjs. Sometimes she will get dressed fine. Other times she will put up a fuss like

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my son did that at first when he didnt have to go out and was staying at home i made him wear the cloths he did that to so he wouldnt thing that he could do that and get new cloths every time, i only had to do that a few times and he stopped
    Anonymous

• This is normal. It really helps to have picking clothes as a part of kids' regular bedtime routines.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:11 PM on May. 16, 2009

• loll im sorry but im just like damn if i have to grow through that with my baby.i say you keep that routine of letting her pick betwwen outfits.and let her know that if she blows her nose on the clothes she is still gonna wear them.dont get mad becauase she is only gettin into her own style.im sure you werent an angel all the time at that stage too.
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 5:15 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I let my daughter wear what she wants for the most .. If it needs to be nice like for church, I give her 2 options.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 5:21 PM on May. 16, 2009

• You don't let your 3 yr old pick their clothes! If you do it once they will want to do it all the time and then you have just opened the door for argument... good luck with that!
    Mommy2seven

Answer by Mommy2seven at 5:22 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I let my kids pick out their own clothes. My 4 year old loves to look dressy and pretty and my 3 year old doesn't care. If I let him pick out something, especially to stay the house, I don't say a word. Who cares if he's wearing stripes with polka dots. When we go out and he picks out his own clothes I will suggest something different. Clothes is one of the most ridiculous things to start a war over.
    Anonymous

• I would let her do it herself. She is telling you she is ready for some independence. Supervise her but let her have the room to do it.
    IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 5:52 PM on May. 16, 2009

• my 4 yr old girl does that and she fuss too!!! i let her choose her own clothes but sometimes it doesn't match........ she fuss about it!!! try playing with her while you dress her up!!! it works on my lil girl....i show her what to wear and its cute too!!! but she has a favorite outfits too!!! tell her we are going for ride to mcdonald's!!!! jade loves the mcdonald's!!!
    filipina99

Answer by filipina99 at 7:54 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Give her choices. Pick out 3 or 4 tops and bottoms that will all match with the other and let her choose.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 8:13 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I think they all do that. I kinda know what she likes so I try to give her options I'm okay with during those times that it matters other days I just let her do her thing (some of the combo's have been very interesting). I will tell her when something does not match or look good and so will her brother and if she decided to change it fine and if not oh well.
    And if she has a fit when I say NO, oh well that's her choice I get her dressed anyways. After a while they do figure it out that the fit will not improve things and they get more with honey and stick to the plan.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 9:02 PM on May. 16, 2009