advice on budgeting?

well we don't eat out anymore, have cut down on tons of stuff and would just like to get advice on what u all do to cut down on cost that are effective and simple where you can see a change even if it starts out small.....thanks for help in advance

n_o71605

Asked by n_o71605 at 5:57 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Money & Work

• No cable, no internet (hubby sells cell phones and we have free internet on his blackberry, before that no internet at home), no entertainment unless its free, no eating out, one car (we do have 2 now, but only had 1 for a long time), garage sales and goodwill for needs!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:14 PM on May. 16, 2009

• We make sure all of our trips are necessary and take the best route to get all of our errands done on the same day, we also don't make extra trips to the grocery store, we only go once/week. If you have any credit cards, call and see if they will lower your interest rate(s) a lot of them will but you have to ask. My business partner and I actually have two businesses, Miche purses and the other business is VP Financial where we work with people to figure out their budgets and bill paying services (we take over people's bills and using their money pay their monthly bills - sounds silly but a lot of people can't figure out how to get things done/paid on time and still have money for groceries, etc....). Feel free to PM me or email me: vwennekamp@hotmail.com
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 6:21 PM on May. 16, 2009

• thanks for all your advice
    n_o71605

Answer by n_o71605 at 6:24 PM on May. 16, 2009

• You need to make sure that you understand the difference between need and want. Replace papertowels with old towels and cut up flannel sheets. Get cloth napkins. Drink water, and only water; you can liven it up with sliced fruit; for the kids you can make ice cubes with blueberry "eyeballs". Cut way back on, or eliminate, meat and dairy. Eat beans and lentils. Replace canned beans and lentils with dried. Cook foods from scratch. Before you go to the grocery store, plan all meals and snacks for the next 8 days. Make your grocery list based on your meal plan. Eat before you shop and only buy what is on your list. I don't care if it's on sale, if you don't need it don't buy it.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:44 PM on May. 16, 2009

• We thought that we had done an excellent job cutting back on everything- but we never had a budget for groceries. I think for most people- if they've got back on wants- the next best thing to cut back on is groceries. Plan how much you are going to spend every week, two weeks, or month and then stick with it. Before you go shopping check the ads- then break down what you are going to get. If you are buying a 2 pound bag of carrots that normally costs $2.59 round it up to $3.00 on your grocery list. That way you have taxes covered. I usually round everything up to the nearest dollar and I come out under or even every time. Sometimes if I'm not buying much I give myself a couple dollars in wiggle room though.

GOOD LUCK!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 8:44 PM on May. 16, 2009