am i too nervous

i want to put my child who is 2 and a half in his own room,but im very scared as it is a big deal to me,at the moment he has a bed in our room.is it hard 4 other mothers?or am i just making a big deal?please give advice.. thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:31 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Definitely give him a chance to have his own room if you have the space available. He is plenty old enough he should be okay. But if you are going to do this you have to be consistant with it and do it, dont let him pick up from you that you are having second thoughts about it, and put him down in there every night, no back peddling. It will be good for both of you, and no matter how hard it will be now it will be much harder if you wait another 6 months or a year.
    Anonymous

• It's a big step.. I never had my son in our room except for the occasional night I'd bring him to bed with me, but mostly he's slept in his own room.

I can't say from experience, but I'd say to take it slow. Move his bed into the new room, tell him that it's because he's such a good boy (You don't want him to think he's being punished..) and this is a reward for big boys or something positive, and then move your nightime ritual into his room, read him a story in his room, kiss him goodnight, what-have-you. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 6:36 PM on May. 16, 2009

• my son slept in me and dh's room when he was an infant and had nightly feedings not to mention we had a small apt. but we moved do to space and was happy to give him his own room @18 months and its great but i felt the same way ( its normal ) i just bought an intercom ( not the xpensive one) 20 bucks at walmart and its great if he even laughs in his sleep i hear it, whines u name it i hear it and its a comfort to me. he is now 3 1/2 and i do use it less and less cause he will just yell for me when he needs me but if he has ickys in his belly i will have the intercom on .
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 6:41 PM on May. 16, 2009

• my daughter is going to be a year old in a few days and she sleeps in our room in her own bed. We have a three bdrm and use one bbdrm it's more me. Im gonna move her real soon im just finishing her room. It's harder on mommy then it is on baby. Im with you on this one and im sure your SO is feed up to also mine is.But he does understand that im very over protected of her. Not to mention i have never with a sitter not even a family member. Yes im over protected over her.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 6:42 PM on May. 16, 2009

• i'm in the same boat as you.... i moved my dd into her own room when she was 2 but it stll makes me nervouse b/c i can't physically see her, she sleeps good in there though i'm just parinoid & don't sleep as well as i did when she was in my room, now if my dh has to work nights or out of town, she's in my room with me b/c i don't feewl as safe when he's gone
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:32 PM on May. 16, 2009