how can i tell my husband again i dont want his mom having a house key?

the land lady gave my hubby the key and my mom in law had the spare and the land lady said to just ask his mom for the other one.my hubby thinks his mom should keep it "just in case" but i think i should have it now since we are moving there and i dont want her in and out of my house. he just told me we will get a copy. i think he just doesnt want to hurt his moms feelings but i think is too bad!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:48 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Relationships

• I would be asking the land lord if I could be changing the locks & giving her a key & when my husband was not around his keys changing his keys out.

itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 6:51 PM on May. 16, 2009

• it is good to have a spare key with someone in case of emergency

Answer by admckenzie at 7:12 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I have keys to all my children's homes, and they all have keys to ours. I don't see why it should ever be a problem. If you are ever away from home and remember you've left the stove on, or there's any kind of an emergency, someone can get in without having to knock down a door. My next door neighbors and I have keys to each other's homes. Do you just have a hard time trusting people?
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:20 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I totally understand where your coming from. I'd just tell his mom your self that you need the key back and that's it! I mean that's something you both need to agree upon! MOMMY does NOT need a key!
    jennifer8585

Answer by jennifer8585 at 7:36 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Tell your husband Im not comfortable with her having a key and I would appreciate it if you asked for it back. Personally my MIL has a key to my house she welcome to come and go as she pleases. I love her though and it comes in handy.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 7:45 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I don't understand why you wouldn't want her to have a key. That is his mother. Both of our families have keys to eachothers homes. We are family. I supposed you expect her to call and ask permission before coming over too.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 7:58 PM on May. 16, 2009

• It is really nice for someone to have a spare key incase of an emergency. My mom has a key to my house and it has come in handy a couple of times. She has been able to bring me the key when I lock myself out, she has been able to go to my house to get my son clothes or if I needed something and couldn't get to the house. You could just request that she call or knock when she comes over and not just let herself in at anytime. I wouldn't ask for the key back, having someone with a spare is nice and a lot cheaper than calling a locksmith if you lock yourself out.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:51 PM on May. 16, 2009

• My mom has a spare key to our house in case of emergency. I've already asked if she could bail me out twice! I agree with other posters, it's nice to have one somewhere else, JUST IN CASE. And why would you think she'd be in and out of your house? Does she do that now? If so, then you may have a bigger problem than just a spare key ... if not, then why would you think she cares about what is going on in your house?
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 11:55 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I would get it back immediately or change the locks. If you want to give somebody a spare key, then you can chose to give it to a friend of yours. You married her son, not HER, and she is not entitled to be IN YOUR HOME unless you open the door and ask her in.
    purplegerbera

Answer by purplegerbera at 10:26 PM on Jul. 27, 2009