what can I do for cradle cap?

My 7 wk old has really bad flaky dry skin on her head, I think it's cradle cap. what do I do and what causes it?

Asked by AshJoe05 at 7:15 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Olive oil -- rub a small amount on her head, brush with a soft baby brush or comb, and then wash out. Olive oil is natural and excellent for her sensitive little head. For the most part, you do just have to bear with it -- it goes away as she gets older. Just one of those new sensitive baby things.

Answer by elleinad at 7:17 PM on May. 16, 2009

• just get some baby oil, poor it on his head, get a comb and start combing. also comb after every bath. i've noticed that it stays away when you comb their hair right after their bath. learned that the hard way :)

• Use olive oil and let it set for about 5 min then use a soft bristle brush. Or, there's this stuff I got at Target, it has pooh on the front and it's for cradle worked great

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 7:22 PM on May. 16, 2009

• she will be fine my daughter has had it since che was about a month old and she will be a year nexrt week. i finally found disney cradle cap stuff and it works great it does take time to go away. Don't pick at it, it will make it worse. I do my daughters hair everyother night. You can also fine out all the info you would like to know on WWW.WEBMD.COM

Answer by raemommy at 7:22 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Oh, also...don't wash her hair every day, just use water. It could also be her baby shampoo is too harsh for her little head :)

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 7:23 PM on May. 16, 2009

• huh.. thanks!! I am using baby oil. would putting it on then putting a hat on overnight help?

Answer by AshJoe05 at 7:27 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I know this may sound strange, but my doc told me to use selson blue on my baby boy and it worked great! You should also get a soft bristle brush to help gentley scrub it off. GL!

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 7:30 PM on May. 16, 2009

• My LO has it bad. We tried everything! My doctor told us to use Selsun Blue. We use it like once a week. That's helped my LO.

Answer by Dayija at 7:30 PM on May. 16, 2009