If your teen daughter was pregnant and keeping the baby, how would she provide for her child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:28 PM on May. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'd be making her butt get a job
    Anonymous

• WIC will help supply many items for nursing mothers and also for bottle fed babies. At the same time, my daughter would be covered with insurance so I wouldn't have need of the health dept. but for those that aren't covered, I would suggest calling and visiting the local health dept.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 7:31 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I'd make her get a job after school and she would know that money is NOT for her but the baby. I'd also demand to know who the father is and I would be calling his parents and letting them know that their son has a responsibility to this baby as well and they should be making him do the same since I would be contacting the local child support office and filing.

BTW I have a son and no daughters. If my son ever got a girl pregnant he would know that he has to step up and help care for it and pay for it. In no way would I ever allow him to just walk away like its not his problem, like a lot of parents of boys seem to do.
    Anonymous

• If she was still in High school I would urge her to get her GED. Then go to vocational school to get job skills. In the mean time, I am totally not opposed to using welfare or other assistance programs, that is what they are for.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:50 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I would do whatever I can to help her so she can finish high school and get a college degree, she will need a degree to get any job that will pay enough for her to support herself and the baby. She would get a part time job to help with the babies expenses (and hers). I would help her get WIC, child support, etc. I would encourage her to do her best to be a mother and succeed in schooling.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:01 PM on May. 16, 2009

• We'd help her. I'd probably trade her chores for babysitting. We'd be fine paying for diapers and formula but if she wanted to get other stuff for the baby she would have to babysit or find a part time job if she could handle it, but I would insist that school and the baby come before working.
    My best friend had her baby at 17 (she had already graduated high school) but her parents helped her any way they could. She baby sat during the day for spending cash (she watched 1-3 kids for 8+ hours a day) and went to classes at night. Her parents provided food and shelter for the baby.
    She's an exceptional mother. her dd is almost 10 now and my friend teaches kids with behavior problems. She's probably be on welfare if her parents hadn't wanted to help her.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:08 PM on May. 16, 2009

• she'd get a job and the baby's dad would support the child also.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:32 PM on May. 16, 2009

• She would stay in school, go to college, the father would eventually move into my home, as well as stay in school and go to college, and he would graduate, get a great job and raise his child with my daughter. I would still allow her to live her life.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 8:52 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Wow, I have two daughters so this could actually happen to me. Right now I would say that if they are a teenager than they are still my responsibility. I think that means the baby would end up being my responsibility in many aspects too. I would try my darndest to teach her how to be a good mother to her child and make sure she knows that her baby is counting on her to make good choices for them both. I would pray she stayed in school and went on to college.
    Also, I would not insist on child support or interference from the father unless they both wanted him in the picture. School for teenagers is more important than jobs IMO so I would do my best to support them financially.
    Thank God my girls are still so young and we can talk more about sex and consequences! As of today they both want to adopt a baby so they don't have to give birth- that will change!
    haston

Answer by haston at 9:56 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Get a job. Her life of leisure and fun would be over. She would be a mommy and her main focus would have to be her kids so she would have to find a way to finish school and work. I would help her but no way would I let her suck off the system or me. If she was woman enough to get pregnant she better be woman enough to care for her own child. I would babysit during the day for her and when she had to work. If she did not like the rules she can move out.
    Anonymous