When do babies usually sleep through the night? HELP

My first i thought was at only a couple months, I dont remember... my daughter is 7 weeks and WILL NOT go to sleep until 1am! She just fusses as soon as I lay down for bed, then she is still up at least every 3 hours.... what can I do? Is this normal?

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 7:45 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There is no "usual" for sleeping through the night. Some babies sleep for long stretches shortly after birth, some still wake once or twice after they turn 2. Here are the general guidelines:
    Most can sleep for 5 hours or more at 6 months. That's the official definition of "sleep through the night".
    Most can sleep for 8 hours or more by 9 months.
    Most can sleep from bedtime to morning by 12 months.
    Note this is "can"... not "do". By one year, most have a built in habit of waking up, spending time with mom, and getting some food as an extra bonus.

A set wakeup time in the morning will help. So will a set routine at bedtime. Use a shorter version at naptime.
    Also do not let her get overtired. If she is rubbing her eyes or yawning, it's too late. Once a child is overtired, they simply can not relax and get to sleep. How often, when, and for how long she naps will change constantly over the coming year.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:21 PM on May. 16, 2009

• devolop a routine, around 8 30 or 9i give my lil one a bath(u dont have to wash .
    with soap every nite) let her play for an hour an half feed her and she is ready to sleep(she sleeps with me)i dont know if that helps her sleep better.ur supposed to put them to sleep when they show 1st sings there tierd,or it will be harder to put them down.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 7:49 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Totally normal. Does she nap a bunch of times during the day? She may have her days and nights mixed up. My daughter didn't sleep through the night routinely until she was about 2.5 months old. Before that she'd go through spells of waking up every two hours one night then sleeping eight hours in a row the next night. That was so annoying, ack!

But yeah, keeping her up more during the day and having a more set schedule totally changed everything around. I have a specific bedtime routine with her, and I put her to bed around the same time every night, so she knows that when she receives her last bottle it's time to go to sleep. She only takes two naps a day, about 45 minutes at a time.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:54 PM on May. 16, 2009

• First she is ONLY 7 weeks old, when she is ready it will happen. Here is a great site That explains infant sleep facts. One part of it always stands out to me...

"Encouraging a baby to sleep too deeply, too soon, may not be in the best survival or developmental interest of the baby. This is why new parents, vulnerable to sleep trainers' claims of getting their baby to sleep through the night, should not feel pressured to get their baby to sleep too long, too deeply, too soon. " (lesson #3)

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070200.asp

Take a minute to read it, I came across it a few weeks ago, it is very interesting.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 8:22 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I have 3 they slept through the night at 4 months, 2 1/2 years, and 18 months.
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 8:45 PM on May. 16, 2009

• My daughter started sleeping through the night at 4 months also. Everyone told me that she would sleep through the night at 3months, so it varies.I think at seven wks they still need to eat equite often. Give it some time it will happen.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 8:54 PM on May. 16, 2009