For those that take the Bible literally...

Why did some people live to be so old in biblical times, but we don't see people living past 120 nowadays?

How is it possible for someone to walk into a fire and come out unscathed?

How is it possible for a man to live inside a whale (or big fish, however you want to call it) for three days?

Just curious, I mean no harm =]

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 8:01 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• God. ;)
    There's your answer.
    Anonymous

• Ahh, I figured :P
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:05 PM on May. 16, 2009

• You are going to get many answers to these. I remember asking them as a kid and getting all kinds of answers. But here's what I remember...

* The further we get away from the original blood line the further we get from perfection and therefore we die younger as a result of weaker bodies.

How is it possible for someone to walk into a fire and come out unscathed? How is it possible for a man to live inside a whale (or big fish, however you want to call it) for three days?
    * I remember the answers to these to be the same... They were miricals from god...

IMO, it's all in the eye of the beholder. If you want to find reason, you will. And when we are talking religion when all else fails just say God did it...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:06 PM on May. 16, 2009

• A good place to look up these question is blueletterbible.com
    search God with all your heart and you will find an answer!
    I have peace about these questions.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 8:13 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I think that it is true that our bodies or the genetic line is getting weaker and weaker. But it is also sin. In the beginning they did live long, one lived 969 years,,,I can't imagine being around that long. Then they lived to 120 years, then as they got further from the Lord they shortened the life expectancy to 70 years. I know many live beyond that, my father is 85 going on 86 this September, but he lived a good life and was always so honest. I believe that God will bless your life if you honor your parents and live the way God wants you to.
    lordsong1002

Answer by lordsong1002 at 8:19 PM on May. 16, 2009

• The first one--- I believe that people lived so long because they were intended to live a long time, and it helped populate the earth. But God limitted their days later (Gen. 6:3). It says that He limited their days because He would not strive with them forever. He was worn out by their inclination to turn away from Him and towards sin. God gives us time because He loves us, but there is a point when His patience runs out. I totally believe they lived a loooong time.

And the last two are simply just miracles. I love the story of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego!!! Especially the part when the people look into the furnace and see 4 people walking around. The Lord never leaves us when we go through the fire!!!

Jesus validated the story of Jonah. He said, "Just as Jonah was in the belly of the whale three days and three nights, so will the Son of Man be in the heart of the earth three days and three nights." Matthew 12:4
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 8:21 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Because the bible is nothing but mythology.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 10:02 PM on May. 16, 2009

• King James Bible : Psalms : Chapter 34
    34:17
    The righteous cry, and the LORD heareth, and delivereth them out of all their troubles.
    age55

Answer by age55 at 10:04 PM on May. 16, 2009

• So people can say stuff like this and it is okay, but if a Christian says that JW's are a cult it is rude?

"Because the bible is nothing but mythology."

I am not the girl who said JW's were a cult, btw.
    Anonymous

• God
    How else do expect us to answer you?
    Everything happens because it is in God's plan and or will to do so.
    God bless
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 10:41 PM on May. 16, 2009