Differences between the 1970s/80s and today?

I'll go first....

Jump ropes, roller rinks, and playing outside till it's dark

Buying your kid a DS for their birthday, tvs in the kid's room...

prettyrayray

Asked by prettyrayray at 8:05 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• We have a million more electronics now. Heck I didn't get a microwave or VCR until I was 9. We got a Nintendo when I was 11 (which was years after they came out). My kids have never known life without TVs, DVD players, mp3 players, xboxes, cable, computers or microwaves, lol.

But my kids still play out until dark. They are out after breakfast and only come in to have lunch, snacks and use the bathroom. We've lived in this neighborhood for 20 years and it's no more dangerous now then it was back then.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:11 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Cassette tapes and waiting hours for the dj to play your favorite song so you could record it only to have him talk over the beginning! Now my DS just downloads it to his ipod in minutes!
    Rabbit ear antennas-hey move you're making the tv fuzzy- on tv's with NO REMOTE replaced by cable or satellite in almost every home.
    Seat belts- a good thing- but a change, the law passed here in NY shortly before I started driving so while I was a child I never wore one, but have never driven with out it.
    I too remember being one of the last people I knew to get a microwave or a VCR.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 8:18 PM on May. 16, 2009

• riding in the back of a pickup truck, hide and seek after dark, camping out in the front yard overnight....

all things i would not let my child do in the same neighborhood i grew up in, actually back in the same house but things she would not be doing w/o someone sitting up and watching every move. than again, maybe my parents did and i didn't realize it...
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:19 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I wasnt alive back then but

everyone having a computer/laptop...everyone having a cellphhone..texting.
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 8:20 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Haha, remote controls drive me nuts because we always lose ours and have to get up to change the channel anyway. Well, it seems like people were more active 20 - 30 years ago, and today more sedentary because of how simple we are trying to make life. Sort of like what happened in Wall-E.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 8:26 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Yeah...we survived without a cell phone! There were these things called pay phones, and they didn't cost that much. I think they cost like 50 cents these days? I remember when they were 25 or less.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 8:27 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Haha I remember when pay phones cost a dime! And there was no time limit on the call if it was local. Now they charge you a bunch more and it hangs up after a few minutes unless you put in more money.

How about having sooo many TV channels to choose from?

Oh and when I was a kid MTV actually played music. Did you know that the "M" in MTV stands for Music? It's weird because the channel has nothing to do with music now...
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:38 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Gas was CHEAP! you could hitch hike without any worries of a serial killer. playing out until the street lights came on. you could make mudpies without your parents freaking out of germs. you could drink out of a garden hose. you could ride a bike without helmets. Spanking a child for doing wrong WAS NOT ABUSE. satelite? what's that? schools actually said the pledge and played/sang the Star Spangled Banner. If you didn't make the sports team, you got over it. parent's didn't freak out if the neighbor spanked their kid for doing wrong at their house. the village actually did raise the child. they had 1 cent stores. there was no problem with kids roaming the neighborhood or walking to the store on their own. oh, and their cartoons were WAY better than what they have these days, thank God for the boomerang channel :)

wow, hard to believe our kids can even be independent these days.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 8:43 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Remember the one room you weren't allowed in? The sitting room or living room, whatever room had the furniture with the plastic on it! I also remember cartoons only being on for like 2 hours after school and 4 or 5 hours on the weekends. There was no Nickalodeon or Disney Channel, we had to play and do chores to earn those cartoons baby! And we were allowed outside, we all had to stay in large groups, but we were taught flat out, there's strength in numbers, and we were allowed to be rude to strangers. Junk food was not sold in the grocery store in family fun size packs. The good junk was only found in the convenience stores. The only sweets in the grocery store were sodas and ice cream. No candy bars or potato chips. And it was okay that we didn't have an Atari, no else did, and the one kid that got one for his b-day became the most popular kid in the neighborhood. Ahh, the good old days of 1985!
    Aneya

Answer by Aneya at 2:27 PM on May. 17, 2009