Need advice on buying my 1st home

OK, so at 37yrs old I am buying my first home. Scared, nervous, excited all at the same time. It all seems overwhelming but I know it is the right move. I would like to know if you could share one piece of advice about your own homebuying experience, what would it be? Thank you in advance.....

tessntylersmom

Asked by tessntylersmom at 8:24 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Did you know that buyers make up their mind about a house within the first 11 seconds of wa;ling through the front door?

Trust your instincts, you WILL know the right house when you see it.  Good luck!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:32 PM on May. 16, 2009

• My husband and I went through three agents before we found a realtor that would not try to sell us on something that we could not afford. Find out what your budget is and what you want to spend on a monthly basis and go from there. Get a traditional loan from a bank, don't let anyone talk you into getting a fishy loan that will change the minute you sign. Your state might even have some federal loans that have better rates and are more secure.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:26 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Listen to the neighborhood.
    Not just when you go to look at the place, but go on your own.
    And go at night.

When we were looking for houses we found THE house, but when I went back at night to sit on the front porch and listen to the neighborhood, everything was perfect until I realized that the house was right under the path where the planes fly in to land at our local airport. It was really loud!! After calling the airport, I found that apparently planes are in and out 6-8 times a day. That was a no-go for us.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 8:27 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Oh, stick to your budget. Figure out what you can afford, what you KNOW you can afford, and don't go a cent over. The bank will tell you that you can afford more, but if you know you can't don't listen to them.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 8:28 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Make a huge checklist for home. Look as long as you need till you find something perfect. My BIL and SIL have this neat house, but to get out of the neighborhood the street turns to one lane each way with a stop sign for them and it's busy and lord help you if you need to make a left. So no super enclosed neighborhoods is on my list. Also if you have young kids and want the rooms on the master bedroom side for now, then put that on your list..........
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 8:31 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Oops!  That should be "walking".

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:33 PM on May. 16, 2009

• If buying used house, be sure the major things are in good shape. For example, new roof, siding, plumbing, heating and air conditioning....the items that really matter. Be sure to check all electrical outlets. The cosmetic items paint, carpet, landscape those are nothing big.
    Anonymous

• Don't ever buy a house on a street where the road has a double yellow line. That means that the street is really busy and probably going to be noisy. Also, should you resell, you're going to have a tougher time.

An inspector only checks to see if the roof is going to last the next 5 years-- but they're not really going to care if it doesn't because their failure will only cost them the money you spent on the inspection, so if the roof is questionable, have a roofer check it out.

Go with the inspector through the house so he/she can explain what they're looking for and finding. If your inspector rushes, then it's worth it to get another, more thorough inspector. We once had a guy take only 1.5 hours, and he missed the fact that the floor under the spa had dry rot.

Since this is a buyer's market, get the agent to throw in a home owner's warranty for the next year in case anything goes wrong.

Congrats!!!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 8:50 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Get the seller to pay closing costs. We got 20k off our home plus closing costs when we bought our new home recently. It is a buyers market and there are a lot of homes for sale you are in the drivers seat.
    Anonymous

• 1) Location location location ... do not scimp on this!! You may want to sell it in the future and don't want people to say "It's a nice house, but hate where it's located".

2) Have someone you know look at it with you, who is unbiased. You may fall in love with a house and not see some faults. It truly helps to have a 3rd party unbiased opinion.

3) Get an inspection! It costs some money, but is well worth it.

4) If you don't find something you like, do not buy something you can settle with. BE PATIENT! You're house is out there.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 11:18 PM on May. 16, 2009