Did you have a preemie? How premature...are they alright?

My cousin had a baby boy, Dalton, on May 15 at 2:45 am. He's 12 weeks premature and itty bitty. He weighed 2 lbs. 11 oz. and measured 13 in. long. So far, things are ok, I guess. He was breathing on his own, but now the machines are doing the work. His heart stopped last night, but they were able to get it back and he appears to be stable for now. I know he'll be in the NICU for a long time, but I was wondering if anybody else has had a baby this early or this little!

sparrowprincess

Asked by sparrowprincess at 8:43 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son was born at 25 weeks and he was 2lbs and 10 oz and 16 inches... now at 10 months he is 29lbs and inches
    Anonymous

• he was in the nicu for 3 weeks
    Anonymous

• I had a 30 weeker and he was 2 pounds 12 ounces and 15 inches long. He was in the nicu for 6 weeks, but he did just wonderfully. He got an infection once, but that was the worst part of it. HE is now 5 years old and a ball of energy. He is doing great.
    kelleysangels

Answer by kelleysangels at 8:53 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Thank you...I'm glad he's doing alright. I'm just so worried. It's amazing yours was born at 25 weeks and out of nicu so quick!
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 8:54 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Oh dear. I hope the poor little guy is OK. My first was premature but not nearly as early- about 6 weeks, weighed a little over 4 lbs, is doing great.

Answer by Bmat at 8:54 PM on May. 16, 2009

• My cousin had twins 13 weeks early. They were both under 2lbs. Now they are 12! One is fine, the other has cerebral palsy and cannot walk.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 8:54 PM on May. 16, 2009

• My daughter was born at 23 weeks weighing 1.5 lbs. and measuring 13 inches. She only spent 2.5 months in the NICU because she was doing so well. She came home weight a little more than 3.5 lbs. We brought her home on our 23rd wedding anniversary. That was a great anniversary gift. Kayli is 2 1/2 years old now and doing really well, no developmental delays, no lasting affects, other than a minor heart defect which her cardiologist will fix when she's about 6 or 7. She is still a bit small for her age. She wears 12mos. & some 18 mos. Her Dr thinks she'll always be small and petite.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 9:02 PM on May. 16, 2009

• My Husband was born at 26 weeks and weighed a little over 2 lbs. That was 26 years old and he's perfect. :o) Back then it was a miracle, now it is too but there is so much more help and knowledge out there for little ones. Just keep your head up, visit him... spend as much time as possible with him (at least the Mom should) it really helps a tiny baby. Pray, prayer always works. :o)
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 9:29 PM on May. 16, 2009

• My twins were born at 32 weeks. Delilah weighted 3lb and was 16in long. Leon was 3lb 3oz and 15.75 inches long. They stayed in the hospital for 7 weeks and when they finally came home they didn't need anything but vitamins! It's incredible they are doing so well. 2 weeks ago when they were 1 1/2 months old Delilah was 6lb 10oz 19in long and Leon was 7lb 2 oz 20in long. They doing wonderfully.

My younger sister was also a preemie. She was born at 31 weeks and was 3lb 7oz and stayed in the hospital for a month. She's now 16 years old and doing great.

He'll do great! Everytime you...and anything else can visit....do it! When he gets strong enough that anyone can hold them...GO! As soon as mine were old enough to be held by other people my mom, sister, and brother came and held them...they came home about 1 1/2 later! It's awesome
    newmom2bgtwins

Answer by newmom2bgtwins at 10:01 PM on May. 16, 2009

• identical twin boys born at 35 weeks. 5lbs 14oz! NO NICU
    dennysgirl07

Answer by dennysgirl07 at 11:31 PM on May. 16, 2009