5 month old eating solids and drinking water?

So I have a friend, well more of an acquaintance, who mentioned that she wants to find a portable food processor for her daughter because she only wants to eat her mom's food. She said her baby only really takes bottles at bedtime. I was under the impression that at this age babies should be mostly on formula/ breast milk with maybe a little rice cereal and possibly some baby foods.. this mom will let her baby suck on regular table food all the time. Am I wrong? Also she gives her bottles with water.. I'm not saying anything because she's not a close friend and it's not my business, but I was wondering what others thought.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:49 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• water is ok, just only a couple ounces every now and then. def not a whole bottle. at 5 months, yeah mostly on the bottle, most start cereal at this time, but docs recommend 6 months. they just say 4 months is the earliest so they don't have to deal with parents. table food at that age? no way. the earlier you start food, the more prone they are to get allergies to them later. now, if she's talking of a food processer, maybe she's considering making her own baby food? you can do that. but babies should be relying on their bottle more at this age. one at least every 4 hours
    Anonymous

• i agree with her^^ . my daughter is almoat 6 months and yes she eats baby food, but only as an alternitive if shes still hungrey after her bottle. the real nutrition that baby needs comes from breast milk or formula
    Mommy2Layla08

Answer by Mommy2Layla08 at 9:11 PM on May. 16, 2009

• This mother sounds lazy to me. I know it would be easier if my kid ate from my plate, but that is dangerous for baby. The baby foods are there to help baby get used to swallowing and different flavors. It helps develop tastes AND it is to help determine if there might be a food allergy. This mother is negligent in the idea that her baby is safe just because he eats food that is ground. I am all for making your own baby food. It's cheaper in the long run, but this woman needs to stop treating her baby like a toddler and treat her as what she is. A baby.
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 9:26 PM on May. 16, 2009

• i agree with the other posters!
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 9:44 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I made all of my baby's food w/ a blender and/or food processor and didn't give commercially processed rice cereal. However, breastmilk and/or formula absolutely should be the baby's main source of nutrition at this age. A little bit of water (like 4oz. or less) is okay but too much water can cause water intoxication.

sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 9:45 PM on May. 16, 2009

• The food thing isn't too weird. I remember handing my child at 5 months half a baby cucumber to suck on. She loved it, but it's not like she ate much.

Water is okay but only in small amounts like others have said. And generally not every day. I gave my LO a sippy cup with water when we started solids and even though she only got maybe 2 drops of it at one feeding she learned quickly how to drink from a sippy.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 10:00 PM on May. 16, 2009

• If i let my kids do everything they wanted, I would be a bad parent. It's my job to do what's best for them when they're too small to know better. Five months qualifies. Yes, at this age, nearly 100% nutrition should be breastmilk / formula.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 10:14 PM on May. 16, 2009

• For the first year, nutrition comes from breastmilk or fomula.
    Introducing solids, at around 6 months, gives babies the experience of eating them, and arenot for nutrition. We started with one sippy cup of water a day at around 9 or 10 months.
    Great first foods are avocado and baked sweet potato; many nutritionists now recommend skipping rice cereal. www.superbabyfood.com is a great source for feeding babies, toddlers and their parents.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:07 AM on May. 17, 2009