Have you heard of this term yet or before?

We are all Democrats in our family, I voted Independent this year and am leaning this way all together. My brother was a huge Obama voter and vocally campaigned for him for about 4 months.
So I just get off the phone with him now, and he says to me that he is concerned we are headed ( with Obama) towards a Generic Future.
So I tell him, what do you mean, and he says to me, Obama is everpresent and moving the country to a Generic Future and he is scared and doesn't know what to do.

What is a Generic Future? Is this a new term with Democrats?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It's an analysis professors use a lot, back in the day people use to say Canada is going to have a generic future, which they say they have it now. Meaning there is no value to anything any more. I don't know if thats what he meant, but I've read on it many times in my Government class and my psychology class.
    VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 9:45 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Never heard that term, but I am curious too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:35 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Never heard it before.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 9:59 PM on May. 16, 2009

• An odd expression, it reminds me of the fuss made years ago about the book 'The End of History" which seemed to imply the world had reached a level of stability seemingly permanent. Wrong of course, which will probably be the same with the 'generic future'.

Next time you talk to him,ask him precisely wahat it means and please enlighten us !
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 12:19 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Generic foods in the grocery store means no brand...... Hmmmmm...... I wonder if we are going to be a NO BRAND AMERICA?
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 7:24 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Perhaps this has to do with the New World Order that Obama and PM Brown are so fond of?

Essentially reducing America to being "nothing special" and embracing mediocrity?!

I find it interesting that "just 4 months later" those who once thought Obama was "da bomb," realize he really is "the bomb!" LOL

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:14 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Hmmm....generic "black and white labels" on grocery store shelves....conjures up so many poor, Communist Russia, government controlled images...(think Cold War)...it's scary.

Gone is the vibrancy, the flair for excitement...replaced by the "gray doldrums."  Gots to love the "change!" NOT!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on May. 17, 2009

• How funny..... why didn't you ask your brother to explain it to you.....? Why did you brother vote for him..... Obama IS what he said he would be in his campaign.! Your brother is scared???
    Give me a break!! In fact, the liberal part of the democratic party thinks Obama is being too much to the center.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on May. 17, 2009

• And its allll your brothers fault!! BAHAHAHAHAHAHAA/
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on May. 17, 2009

• I am so glad he is another Obamanite seeing the light. I know what generic means but i don't know what he means by his statement.
    I love stories like this though!
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:08 PM on May. 17, 2009