how long does weaning engorgement last??

i just started weaning my daughter cold turkey yesterday. my boobs are so engorged and i'm in so much pain. how long will it last?? i've been using cabbage leaves and have also bought sage pills that i'm taking too.

and please if anyone doesn't have anything constructive to say, then please don't say anything. thanks :)

muensters_ma

Asked by muensters_ma at 9:50 PM on May. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have heard that sports bras and a pack of frozen peas. Oye. Good luck!
    MumFerg

Answer by MumFerg at 10:03 PM on May. 16, 2009

• what ever you do ,DO NOT wrap your breasts . It will cause more and more pain . The only thing i could do was take a shower and let down . They say not to but it was the only thing to relive the pain although your letting milk out Ava wont be sucking to stimulate it . I hope you feel better soon !!
    TwinMommy2BE86

Answer by TwinMommy2BE86 at 10:23 PM on May. 16, 2009

• BTW im not stalking you lol i know i answer most of your questions but its only cause they show up on my friends activity .
    TwinMommy2BE86

Answer by TwinMommy2BE86 at 10:24 PM on May. 16, 2009

• thanks ladies :) the frozen peas would feel amazing right now!

and Britta, lol, i know your not stalking me. thanks for the advice :)
    muensters_ma

Answer by muensters_ma at 10:37 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Well first off I can say I did NOT do cold turkey! Lol. When I started to wean I pumped instead. For a couple of days I pumped how often I was feeding my DS. (Every 3-4 hours) Each few days after that I spaced pumping by a little bit longer, then a bit longer, etc. I brought myself down to pumping 2 times a day. By then my milk was near gone and dried and then my engorgement only lasted about a week and it wasn't too painful because the milk supply had already decreased!
    My problem was that I leaked a bit for at least a MONTH after I stopped breastfeeding. NOT fun if you ask me! So keep those pads handy just in case!
    Good luck and congrats for breastfeeding for so long!
    Caedens_Mommy

Answer by Caedens_Mommy at 10:38 PM on May. 16, 2009

• OO one more thing.. I layered bras. I know it sounds crazy but I was wearing 3 sports bras for the support and it felt much better! My OB also said that the pressure that the sports bra puts on them helps to keep milk from developing as much too!
    Caedens_Mommy

Answer by Caedens_Mommy at 10:40 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I've seen it last a week, if the mom can tough it out that long. Most can't and at least pump within a day.

Leaking can continue for an entire year.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:46 PM on May. 16, 2009

• its day 2 now and i haven't pumped yet. i actually gave my pump to a friend before we moved because i didn't think i'd need it anymore cause she wouldn't take a bottle :( do you think i should buy a new pump to help ease the pain?
    muensters_ma

Answer by muensters_ma at 10:53 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I leaked for 2 years after I stopped ugh......just take a hot shower and well this may sound weird but.....hubby liked to suck mine and it didn't like "let down" for him but it helped relive pressure.....that may be too creepy for you. It is for some ppl.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 10:57 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Cold turkey is the worst way to wean. You could get mastitis, a horrible infection of the breast which at its worst requires surgery to remove abcesses. I would pump every now and then and gradually get your breasts used to not making milk anymore. There is also a "No More Milk" tea made by Earth Mama Angel Baby if you want to help speed up the process.
    elleinad

Answer by elleinad at 11:15 PM on May. 16, 2009