Is it really safe to boil pacifiers?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:58 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think if it's not it will say on the package. I never did though.
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 10:01 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I think it says on the package to do so before you use it, doesn't it? I know it does on nipples. I learned the hard way though (duh me) that you bring the water to a boil FIRST, THEN drop the paci or nipple in for a minute!
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 10:02 PM on May. 16, 2009

• no, my package doesn't say a thing. And I was told to boil it for 5 minutes (to kill the yeast bacteria on it)
    Anonymous

• Most infant products ( pacifiers/nipples/etc ) will suggest you boil & wash the item prior to use. I always do myself.
    whispers2005

Answer by whispers2005 at 10:20 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Iam not sure but I have a bottle steralizer container that I put them in once in awhile!
    MzBee2009

Answer by MzBee2009 at 10:26 PM on May. 16, 2009

• A friend of mine puts pacifiers and toothbrushes in the dishwasher.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 10:45 PM on May. 16, 2009

• i feel it is, even if it doesnt whats it going to hurt, better safe than not right its only 5 mins of ur time!
    prego_deigo

Answer by prego_deigo at 3:34 AM on May. 17, 2009

• I have boiled my childrens pacifiers, because of thrush but If your trying to elimate yeast (if you have a problem like alot of mothers do with Thrush then use distilled vingar vs. boiling .. Just a thought depending on why you need to boil them vs just wash them with soap etc...
    truckchickie

Answer by truckchickie at 3:54 AM on May. 17, 2009

• yeast would mean Lo has thrush most likely and yes you need to boil them. If you don't then you will just keep reinfecting your LO. Bring the water to a boil first and make sure there is plenty to cover the entire binkie then drop them in and continue to boil for 5 minutes (seems excessive to me my doc only said 3 minutes when we had thrush) and then remove and drain the water and let the air dry and cool. Vinegar or tea tree oil also helps get rid of the yeast from thrush.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:28 AM on May. 17, 2009