Do I put my toddler through a sleep study?

My dd is almost 3. She started sleeping with me a couple months ago. In that time I have noticed she has occasional long pauses in her breathing( I panic after 5 seconds and jiggle her) and then almost gasps in her air. She also "hitches" her breath. Like a child does after they have been crying. I can wake her a little. Get her to take a deep breath. But then she falls IMMEDIATLY back to sleep and "hitches" again. It usually lasts 15-20 mins. But it went on for nearly 2 hours last week. The doctor thinks it is nothing serious but suggested a sleep study. Her dad (my ex) thinks it is too much to put her through. I REALLY think it would do no harm to get her checked. Do I pay him any mind or go with my gut? Anyone else with odd-breathing-while-sleeping issues?

MZNESMOM

Asked by MZNESMOM at 9:59 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Health

• i would do the sleep study. it wouldnt hurt.
    CoreyLynn

Answer by CoreyLynn at 10:01 PM on May. 16, 2009

• go with your gut
    Anonymous

• Do the sleep study, it sounds like she has sleep apnea and if she does, they will put her on a machine/monitior that will help her breath when she is sleeping. I wouldn't say a child that stops breathing is nothing though. Do what your gut is telling you.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:06 PM on May. 16, 2009