STRANGE BREATHING PATTERNS

My dd is almost 3. She started sleeping with me a couple months ago. In that time I have noticed she has occasional long pauses in her breathing( I panic after 5 seconds and jiggle her) and then almost gasps in her air. She also "hitches" her breath. Like a child does after they have been crying. I can wake her a little. Get her to take a deep breath. But then she falls IMMEDIATLY back to sleep and "hitches" again. It usually lasts 15-20 mins. But it went on for nearly 2 hours last week. The doctor thinks it is nothing serious but suggested a sleep study. Her dad (my ex) thinks it is too much to put her through. I REALLY think it would do no harm to get her checked. Do I pay him any mind or go with my gut? Anyone else with odd-breathing-while-sleeping issues?

MZNESMOM

Asked by MZNESMOM at 10:00 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That would scare me. I recently had my 2 year old in bed with me (on vacation), and I didn't notice any odd breathing. I think you should have it checked out.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 10:16 PM on May. 16, 2009

• My son has weird breathing which was said to be due to floppy tissue in his throat but not during his sleep. But I feel like you should go with your gut feeling aka intuition because your probably right. Anytime something was strange with my son I had him seen by mulitple docs and procedures. He has an mri,catscan and son its not going to hurt her in they end it will help. My bf didnt think certain things was ness. until something really happened.
    MzBee2009

Answer by MzBee2009 at 10:18 PM on May. 16, 2009

• She could have sleep apnea. Which basically is what you described. I would definately have the study conducted. It's not fun, but it's not something I think would traumatize her. My mother actually works in the Respiratory Dept. Basically I believe they would hook a bunch of electrodes up to her (wires) & they would monitor her sleeping behavior. Obviously breathing is essential. Sometimes we as moms, have to put our kids through scary things because ultimately it is what's best for them. I think if your doctor has advised it, you should do it. You are obviously concerned, so better safe than sorry, right? I hope everything turns out for the best sweetie. :)
    emtaglover

Answer by emtaglover at 11:56 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I would also have the study conducted. My 7 yr old has done that for years. Recently we found out that he has asthma and his tonsils were so huge they were blocking his airway at night. The tonsils were removed about 2 weeks ago and his asthma is now controlled - but I still think he's doing that 'stop breathing and then gasping' thing at night. I'm considering following up and seeing if he can have a sleep study done too.
    Your child is too important to let that stuff slide. Sleep apnea can be dangerous.
    Avonlady42

Answer by Avonlady42 at 3:22 AM on May. 17, 2009