Would you get a new, bigger engagement ring if your husband offered or keep the original.

When my husband asked me to marry him he didn't have a lot of money (we still don't). He got me a tenth of a carat diamond, and I loved it. I still love it. He has offered to get me a bigger diamond over the years, but I tell him this is the one he got down on one knee with so this is the one I want. What do you ladies think? Would you want a bigger one, or keep the one you got when he proposed.

TeriMelisa

Asked by TeriMelisa at 10:21 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Relationships

• i would never let him get me another ring unless i couldn't wear this one anymore. it is absolutely PERFECT, and exactly as i imagined it to be. it's just a small garnet with two very tiny diamonds on the sides, and the band kind of swirls around the garnet. kinda hard to explain, so i'm amazed he even picked it! he has offered- and had the money right there to get me a bigger one, he says he feels bad that it's not big. but i ma in no way a jewelery girl, and aside form it's perfect-for-me look, it also has a sentimental value for the way he proposed. i could never look at another ring on my finger and feel so loved.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 10:29 PM on May. 16, 2009

• totally keep the original! it has sentimental value! but you could get a bigger one! and just keep the original one somewhere safe.
    CoreyLynn

Answer by CoreyLynn at 10:22 PM on May. 16, 2009

• keep the original! it means so much! there is always an aniversary ring, i love the way it looks with all three together!
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 10:25 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Well I would keep the original if I could, um, find it...

Shh, don't tell my hubby but I haven't seen that thing in about 3 years and I have no clue where I put it. In any case, I don't want a replacement.
    Anonymous

• The original. It would mean so much more to me than a new engagement ring.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 10:28 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I LOVE my engagement ring. The only thing I would change would be adding to it, I've always loved the side stones that you can add, like sapphires, I think that'd be a beautiful addition. But I'm happy as is.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 10:32 PM on May. 16, 2009

• If you are happy with the original, then keep it. If getting a bigger diamond is something you would like to do, then I don't think there is anything wrong with that. When my aunt graduated college (after she and her husband had been married over 10 years - probably closer to 15) my uncle gave her a bigger diamond ring as her graduation gift. She gave the original diamond to her son just recently and he had it put into a new setting for his girlfriend when he asked her to marry him. You could always have the original diamond made into a necklace or something like that so you could still wear it. Whatever you want to do.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:39 PM on May. 16, 2009

• If you love it, then keep it! I would personally say to keep it. You're right, it was the ring that he proposed with. I love my wedding ring. I can't imagine having a different ring, honestly. I know some women trade up, but I feel weird about that. Although hubby and I have only been married for 4 years, so we'll see how the future goes :)
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 10:40 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I wouldn't change mine for a bigger one. I wouldn't mind getting it coated in white gold instead of yellow gold though. Too much sentimental value.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 10:42 PM on May. 16, 2009

• My husband has offered multiple times to upgrade my wedding bands and I always turn him down. I can't imagine not having that ring on my finger. But, he was determined I deserved something bigger and flashier so he bought me a big diamond ring for Christmas and I wear it on my right hand. He said it was just his way of telling me that he loves me more now than ever before and he would marry me all over again. I love the ring, but my wedding bands are sacred and special to me and nothing could ever replace them.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 10:54 PM on May. 16, 2009