potty training

When is the best age to potty train a boy and a girl. the reason I'm asking is because I have my son and my niece lives with me and my niece is almost 18 months? And what are the signs to know when it's time?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son is 18 months he's definately not ready my neighbors son 17months he seems ready to learn
    conversa

Answer by conversa at 11:12 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Does your child stay dry for longer periods of time? Wake up from naps dry? night time dry? Does your child every indicate they are wet or soiled? Does it seem to bother them to have a wet diaper on? These are some things to look at to determine whether they might be ready. One big factor is are YOU ready to start training? Do you have a couple of weeks to dedicate alot of effort into training? This is really important!
    To start, let your child get used to sitting on the potty. Have it sitting next to the tub and when you are running the bath water have he/she sit down. Sometimes sitting there unclothed, hearing the water running they will pee. Once you start to train, take he/she on a timed schedule. Every 40-60 minutes say to them, "It is potty time" take them and sit them on the potty. Don't ask if they need to go, just take them. Give them something to look at or hold so they stay sitting awhile. (cont.)
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 10:53 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Don't jump into using pull-ups. I would by-pass them altogether! Continue using diapers while you are taking them on a timed schedule. Once they begin to have success going in the potty really consistently and are staying dry, put them in regular underwear. When training use some sort of reinforcement, stickers, pieces of candy, cookie, cereal, whatever really is a motivator for your child. Of course, be really enthusiastic and praise them for their efforts and success. Good Luck!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 10:57 AM on May. 17, 2009