Why don't I look any different.....

I have been going to the gym for over 4 months now doing weight, cardio and some aerobics. And I don't feel like I look any different. I actually feel like I don't look as good. My inner thibghs look bigger and flabbier and my waist was more slim than it is now, Now how could this be/ Am I doing something wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• When we get used to seeing ourselves a certain way - often it is difficult to see ourselves any other way. When we are working out we see ourselves daily so we won't see a drastic change unless we stop looking in the mirror for a month or two (which isn't something we want to do. LOL)

I used to body sculpt. I thought I had a fat tummy. One day I was shopping with a friend who, when I put on a two piece said "oh my God - your stomach" I thought she was going to say how fat it was - she said "you have 6-pack abs" That's when I realized that I did have a nice tummy - but I had never noticed.
    So, a few questions - did you measure yourself before you started working out? If so - go back and measure again. Keep a journal of measurements - maybe once a month - you may see it more that way.
    Avonlady42

Answer by Avonlady42 at 3:06 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Did you weigh yourself before you started to go to the gym? If so - do it again. If not - start doing it every week or if not that often - once a month - add it to your journal. You will see a difference that way.

Pictures - although many of us HATE photos of ourselves - keep a private photo album of your before, during and afters. If you can - wear the same clothes and take pics from every side so that you can see how you look along the way.

Did you change the way you eat? That is a big one that really stumped me. After my first child was born I no longer had 6 pack abs (or anything else for that matter) I used pregnancy as an excuse to pig out and packed on the weight. I bought a treadmill and started to eat things like Mr Noodles and veggies for lunch (not realizing that Mr Noodles were deep fried). Most of the foods I was eating were not as good as I thought.
    Avonlady42

Answer by Avonlady42 at 3:10 AM on May. 17, 2009

• I joined a weight loss program and discovered what a 'proper portion' was (and found that even though my healthy foods were good for me - I was eating WAY too much). I learned which foods really were 'danger' foods to my diet even though they appeared to be healthy. I lost 30 lbs in 4 months. I thought I knew alot about healthy eating and exercise until I joined the weight loss program and found that I didn't know as much as I thought and that was what was holding back my weight loss. The nice thing about the program I chose was that I didn't have to buy THEIR foods - I simply adjusted the foods I was cooking to be more healthy (ie - taking skin off chicken before eating it).

Anyways - I hope that I helped some. It's hard to work out and work out and not see results - but I bet that others are seeing your results and envying you. :)
    Avonlady42

Answer by Avonlady42 at 3:14 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Oh - and one more question (sorry, I meant to put it above). Are your clothes feeling any different? That's usually the first change people notice when they start working out - their clothes feel looser. (hopefully they do for you).
    Avonlady42

Answer by Avonlady42 at 3:16 AM on May. 17, 2009

• PP has great advice. I worked out for an entire year but didn't change the way I ate and the only thing that happened was my body was toned, under the fat. I weighed the same and looked the same. It wasn't until I started eating healthy and watching my portions that the fat just started to melt off. Sometimes I think it is easier to get one healthy habit down at a time. When I decided to change the way I ate, exercising was already a habit for me. Of course this is assuming that you haven't changed your eating habits yet;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:50 AM on May. 17, 2009

• In order to achieve and maintain a healthy weight, you need to have a healthy lifestyle; this has the added bonus of setting a great example for your kids.
    Exercise is an important part. Are you drinking your water! at least 8 8oz glasses a day. Are you eating your fruits & veggies! 7-8 servings a day, in at least three different colors. Eat your whole grains (loaded with fiber, protein, and lots of energy-giving nutrients), 7 servings a day. Cut way back on (or eliminate) meat & dairy. Add beans, lentils & tofu to your diet. You can get free meal plans and recipes from Dr. McDougall, or find his books at your local library: http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html .Feel free to ask me any questions. -Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 9:43 AM on May. 17, 2009

• As a personal trainer I can say it's one of a few things.
    1) You are doing the wrong exercises for your goal. If you're doing heavy weightlifting then you'll add inches rather than lose them.
    2) You just aren't seeing yourself clearly. A study a few years back proved women see themselves as a minimum of 10 pounds heavier than they are - when they look in the mirror. I refuse to let me clients get on a scale as it's an evil entity. Instead use how your clothes fit as a judge.
    3) Your nutrition. If you're intaking 3000 calories a day then you'd have to workout for about 5 hours a day to compensate., On the other extreme, if you're not eating sufficiently, then your body will destroy healthy tissue first (leaving behind the fat). Make sure you're eating at least 1800 cals/day

Check out my articles at http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/123122/kickbuttmama.html
    KickButtMama

Answer by KickButtMama at 11:45 AM on May. 17, 2009

• I thought the same thing. I have been working out for months and to me, I look the same...until someone told me the other day I was getting too skinny lol. That my old clothes don't fit anymore ((had to buy a new wardrobe)).

OR...if you are weight training and not eating right, guess what? You will get bulkier. Yes. You will build more muscle OVER the fat. So, cardio 3x week, weight training, CLEAN diet.
    If you are doing all of these things with NO success, you may need to see your doctor. There could be an underlying issue at hand.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 9:59 PM on May. 17, 2009

• you have to change the way you eat, it's not all about exercise. i know a great product that has helped thousands of people
    jambalover

Answer by jambalover at 12:54 AM on May. 18, 2009

• A great start to healthy eating is the Food Pyramid (or Canada Food Guide - if you're in Canada) - it tells you how many servings of each type of food to eat daily. It also tells you what a serving is (for example - a serving of meat is usually around 4oz) Of course, it's not fool proof - if you're eating higher fat versions of the foods you could still have problems - so you have to ensure you're making healthier choices (ie - veggies without butter or sauce, grilled or baked chicken instead of KFC (lol),) and choosing leaner products, (lower in fat, higher in fiber).

I know that's not a perfect answer, but hopefully it gives you a place to start with nutrition. :)
    Avonlady42

Answer by Avonlady42 at 3:09 PM on May. 18, 2009