formula feeding others, why did you choose to use formula

im just wondering the reasons why mothers choose to use formula.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Here come the lies and excuses.
    Anonymous

• I did both, with my oldest, I was working and my milk supply wasn't enough even with pumping to bf exclusively. With my twins they were premies and needed extra calories, they also had a very weak suck relflex. So we also did a combination. Formula can be made stronger or special premie formula can be purchased. I rented a hospital grade pump and pumped every 2 hours. The breastmilk was used during the day alternating with formula. The breastmilk is easily digested and provided the immunities their immune system needed. Their neonatal doctor was thrilled.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:11 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I personally unless it is not physically possible think it is so selfish not to breastfeed your child. this is a good question i would like to know
    Anonymous

• Well I wanted to breastfeed soo bad. My goal was to breastfeed for the fist year! When my son was born I had this extreme anxiety about it for some reason. I was overthinking everything like what if he goes past his eating time and my milk dries up or if I feed him too much on one side and yada yada yada....Then when I got out of the hospital I had this very rare but extremely real postpartum depression where you are almost suicidal when you breastfeed and only when you breastfeed. So after 3 weeks I decided for mine and my babies safty (along with the doctors recommendation) I stopped breastfeeding and instantly after that my depression started to go away. We are trying to get pregnant again and I am DETERMINED to breastfeed this baby!!!
    luvsgriffin

Answer by luvsgriffin at 11:12 PM on May. 16, 2009

• b/c only one of my boobs would work (one bled) and i had to go back to work when my dd was 2 wks old, i was exhausted & didn't have time to pump
    Anonymous

• i breast fed but then gave formula long after i needed to, yea it was pricey but prob. gave him good stuff he needed like adults taking vitamins?
    conversa

Answer by conversa at 11:15 PM on May. 16, 2009

• to anon 8:07 I am neither a lier nor am I making excuses.  The facts are the facts.

to anon 8:11 would you have preferred me quit my job and live on the street so I could stay home and bf exclusively?  would you rather my premies starve because they could not physically latch on?

I hope the original poster will realize that there are many reasons women choose not to breast feed.  This war that seems to be going on is not in anyway helpful.  There are bigger issues that you will face as a mom, there will be judgements on your parenting from many, many people.  If you are pregnant look at the options, if possible breastfeeding is the best, but don't beat yourself up if it just isn't right for you.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:16 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Why are you ladies justifying your choices to a nameless faceless stranger?
    I am Pro-breastfeeding and have breastfed all three boys for a year each but this post is meant to bash FF'ers. Don't let her get you down.
    Anonymous

• when i had my daughter she wouldnt latch on. i seriously had 3 nurses and my mom helping me in the hospital. they tried sugar water, everything. she just wasnt having it. so i pumped and about a month later, i woke up and no milk. AT ALL. so i kept trying and still nothing, not even an ounce a DAY. so i had to do something else. and formula was the answer.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 11:42 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Because I did.
    BIMOM21

Answer by BIMOM21 at 12:04 AM on May. 17, 2009