What should I do with this turtle?

I was on my way to work today, and I almost ran over a turtle! I stopped and got out of my car. I was in the middle of a residential neighborhood, on a very busy road. The turtle wasn't skittish of me and let me pick him up. He is just slightly smaller than an average dinner plate. I tried to knock on the door of the house I found him in front of, on the off chance that he might've been an escaped pet. He seemed too tame to be a wild turtle. My husband says I should just put him outside and let him fend for himself, but I'm still concerned that maybe he was a pet and isn't used to the wild. I thought maybe calling the humane society might be a good idea, but my husband disagrees. Right now the poor creature is in a box, with a deep dinner plate full of water to sit in. I don't feel right keeping him if he's wild, but if he's a pet I want him reunited with his family.

LunasMama

Asked by LunasMama at 11:19 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Pets

• turtles need more than grass to survive :*
    Anonymous

• Sounds like a pet. I would call the humane society and see if anyone is looking for it. Or, I'd go back to the neighborhood and knock on some doors, leave a note with your number :)
    Anonymous

• Call your local conservation dept.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:23 PM on May. 16, 2009

• hes probably wild. i think if i lost my turtle he would be pretty easy to find. i mean how far would he go? i think he will do just find if you put him outside. if you feel really bad, drop him off at a pond. but please wash your hands. turtles carry salminalla (or however you spell it, you get what im trying to say)
    mnadcox

Answer by mnadcox at 11:26 PM on May. 16, 2009

• People who have never owned turtles can't say if it's wild or not. Take it to a pet store
    Anonymous

• turtle soup
    Anonymous

• Call the humane society. I had a pet turtle when I was a kid I would have been so sad if he had just disappeared. Also you could put a notice on your local Craigslist or in the newspaper. Generally newspapers will let you put in a found ad for free.

RIP Fred the turtle.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:37 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Call humane society or your local Vet's office. If it is a pet, maybe the owner will contact one of them looking for it. Maybe put up a flyer in that neighborhood with your telephone number and wait a week or two to hear from someone. If you haven't by then, I'd either ask the humane society to find it a home, or release it back into nature near a pond, lake, stream, or something.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 6:42 PM on May. 17, 2009