How do you prepare a 2.5 year old to be a flower girl?

Tater is going to be a flowergirl in July and she is pretty shy? Any suggestions on how to get her ready? The bride is someone I don't know that well, she is friends with my parents. I am nervous that she won't walk down the aisle at all. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Stacey

TatersMom2006

Asked by TatersMom2006 at 11:31 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Oh we did this last year! It was a little different because it was my wedding, so we told her to walk to daddy and she walked right up to him and he picked her up and gave her a kiss, it was too sweet. You might need to sit in the second row or so, and then you can have her walk to you (or dad). I just got her basket early and some fake flower petals. We practiced throwing them a lot. When the day came, she didn't throw one, but she did make it down the aisle at least. You might want to practice at the church some too. Good luck!
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 11:35 PM on May. 16, 2009

• did this last aug....if you already have the dress put it on her and have her pretend to walk down the aisle at home. it was my sis' wedding so all my siblings (theres 5 of us) and i were in it, so it was simple to say just go to mommy or auntie. but if you aren't in the wedding and she doesn't know anyone in it, see if its possible for you to stand off to the side at the front of the church or wherever they are getting married this way you are right there. and you may want to stay there throughout the ceremony in case she makes a break for it (my sis got married on the beach, DH was an usher so after everyone was seated he stood off to the side by the "alter" in case she ran for the water so no one had to jump up in the middle of the ceremony). explain what she is going to be doing and tell her how fun it will be. and don't freak out too much, part of the flower girl/ringbearer thing is they are young and unpredictable CONT
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:10 AM on May. 17, 2009

• so if they run off or cry or refuse to walk or whatever it is expected of them. if she won't do it on her own maybe her daddy or you or even a bridesmaid can walk with her.
    vabchmommy

• We planned that too btw. We had my 5 bridesmaids walk down the aisle, then my daughter, then my maid of honor, then me. That way, if she wouldn't walk, my maid of honor could walk her down the aisle. Also, we let her sit down with my parents afterwards, that way she didn't have to stand there the whole time. That's a lot to expect from a two year old.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:29 AM on May. 17, 2009