When you get your membranes stripped... whats that supposed to do?

momma2b060509

Asked by momma2b060509 at 11:32 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It can start your labor.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 11:33 PM on May. 16, 2009

• hurt like hell lol
    Anonymous

• Basically it makes you dialate. Your cervix can have a thin layer of membranes. They take their finger and clear the membranes to try to get you moving. If your doctor is going to do that, you will be in labor soon. They do it in the hospital when they are "checking you".
    Anonymous

• It's the pulling of the amniotic sac from the wall. It's done to help induce labor because it is supposed to put enough pressure on your sac that labor begin but it often has to be done 3-4 times before it's affective and it can induce bacteria and infection so it should only be done if your at risk for medical induction.
    Anonymous

• i had my membranes stripped twice, the first time at 38 weeks, and the second time at 39 weeks. they remove the layer of membranes near your cervix to allow your cervix to thin more and labor to progress. the first time it barely hurt. the second time it hurt a bit more, but not terrible. i still did not have my daughter until her due date at exactly 40 weeks.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 11:41 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I also wanted to add that this can be done in your doctors office but unless your at risk for medical induction it's important to consider the risk.

Anonymous

• I had my membranes stripped in the hospital to help induce labor & I thought it was very painful/uncomfortable ( I felt like I wanted to puke my guts up). they tried that before giving me drugs & then 2 days later another doctor did it again I just wanted to cry! lol.
    whispers2005

Answer by whispers2005 at 12:00 AM on May. 17, 2009