Sleep walking toddler

My stepdaughter is almost 3 and she sleep walks almost every night. I get up at night with the baby and she is asleep in the laundry room, or the kitchen, or underneath the changing table. Its really werid and its starting to creep me out im worried about her is this normal or should i take her to the doctor?

nursinghannah

Asked by nursinghannah at 11:34 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I agree, talk to her doctor. Many kids sleepwalk and he may be able to reassure you, offer ideas to stop it, or other helpful info.
    In the meantime, put a baby gate over her doorway so she can't get out of her room. If she can open baby gates, consider finding a way to prevent her from opening her door - a baby proof door knob cover, an alarm on her door knob, lots of options. Who knows what she is doing in the house while sleep walking. Find a way to keep her contained and safe.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:05 AM on May. 17, 2009

• My son did / does that too. Its hereditary for us. U could her to the dr but I don't think there is anything they can do. My son is seven now and if hear him wondering around I just help him back to bed.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:44 PM on May. 16, 2009

• This can be very, very dangerous. I thought that my DD was a sleepwalker also..One night she got out of bed, went right past my bed, unlocked the door and went out into the yard, where she began to scream for "DADDY!!!" at one in the morning. Thank god that I heard her, and went out and got her. After that I have had the deadbolt, and installed a chain. She was only 2 at the time of the incident. But she has never done anything like that again... A lot of people said that it sounded like she may have been sleepwalking though, and that scared me to death!!!
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 11:55 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I would discuss it with your doctor and see what they think...
    pamelajqs

• I used to sleep walk when I was little. Now I just sleep talk (though I guess I only talk in Latin while sleeping.) Talk to her doctor and he'll give you advice, precautions, and if it becomes serious they will do a sleep study. Some sleep walkers are fine. Others don't get good sleep, so they become behavioral problems later. Good luck!
    Kenre

Answer by Kenre at 12:49 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Agree with previous..Get a deadbolt, so she can't leave the house.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 12:44 PM on May. 17, 2009