Blankets

At what age is it ok to start covering a baby with a blanket? I'm always soo scared its gonna get over her face. My daughter is now 17 months and I'm still worried. I've always just put blanket sleepers on her. Any advice?

Hot_mommy_92

Asked by Hot_mommy_92 at 11:36 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son has been sleeping with a blanket since he was about a year old.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 11:40 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Our has been sleeping WITH a blanket since less than a year, although I can't remember exactly when. He never has been UNDER the blanket, and he still at 25 mos, sleeps WITH his blanket, and WITHOUT covers. Usually long sleeve jammies if cold weather, or short sleeve jammies if hot weather. I don't know when he'll ever get UNDER covers.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:30 AM on May. 17, 2009

• We cover DS (19 months old) up every night for his bedtime ritual. And every night when we check on him he's uncovered himself and it's at the foot of his bed. He co-slept until 10 months, though, and so he's always had a blanket around him somewhere. When he moved to his own bed he was covered with a crocheted blanket my aunt made him. It has holes in it very large so he could still breathe... but he always kicked it to the corner of the bed (playpen) and he has yet to keep his blankets around him.

Ask your doctor if you can do it, if you're really paranoid about it. Never hurts to ask.
    Kenre

Answer by Kenre at 12:46 AM on May. 17, 2009

• I kept my guy in blanket sleepers till he was about 18 months which was when he outgrew the biggest size, mostly just because he loved them and they were part of the bedtime routine. After that he went to fleecy PJs and a blanket but he rarely used the blanket. As soon as he moved to his big boy bed (shortly after turning two) he started using a duvet.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 8:26 AM on May. 17, 2009

• My daughters both slept with quiltscomforters (I don't know what to call it) since birth. I tuck them under the mattress, so it can't go over their heads. I would say at 17 months your daughter should definitely be able to sleep with at least a blanket.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 12:41 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Thank you so much for all your help ladies! I put a little blanket on her last night and it actually went pretty well. She kept kicking it off though lol
    Hot_mommy_92

Answer by Hot_mommy_92 at 10:02 PM on May. 19, 2009