Getting refunds

If you were to buy somethiing at a grocery store and you thought it was bad or maybe it was past it's sell by date would you return it for a refund? And if you returned it for a refund would you demand something in addition to a refund?
I work in retail and sometimes people will return something saying they didn't like it and they want a refund, which is fine if something was actually wrong. But what gets me is that after they complain and we offer a refund they then ask for something extra. Would you ask for something extra after you got a refund?

paula405

Asked by paula405 at 11:50 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Shopping

• only if I was traumatized in some way. Example: I buy a 3lb thing of potato salad for my baby shower and it makes people sick, then yes I may ask for a gift certificate or something for my trouble. But no, if I buy grapes and they are bad I just want the money for the grapes. p[eople dont understand that when they get greedy like that prices go up faster. I worked retail too. :o)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:52 PM on May. 16, 2009

• No, I either just get my money back or a replacement. People have learned from the "customer always comes first thing" to take more than they deserve. I know one woman, a Dr's wife, who complains after every meal they eat out, so she can get it for free. And, it usually works. I hate that stuff.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:52 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Personally ME I wouldn't ask for anything besides my refund because that's what i paid for and how someone expect to get more than they paid. I use to work for a seafood restaurant and the people would try to come on our busyest days so that they could try to fool use that they gave us a bigger bill then they did. But i mean people in this world today want everything they can get if someone will be crazier enough to give it to them.
    ZYONSHAKUR

Answer by ZYONSHAKUR at 11:54 PM on May. 16, 2009

• i used to waitress and worked retail and i've found that no matter what there are some people like that. i wouldn't ask for anything else unless it was that horrible or made someone sick or something, but i can't see asking for more b/c i bought bad fruit, something at a resturant didn't taste right or b/c a toy didn't work. thats just too much and too demanding.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:01 AM on May. 17, 2009

• No, I also worked in retail, at Wal-mart and I saw some of the stuff people pulled. When I first started there they had a policy that if the price was different on the shelf you got the item for free+10%. Well after a few rediculous price switches they dropped that. After Christmas people brought in the most outrageous stuff. Things with the tags with Target printed on them, things that were so old and so dirty that they had obviously been worn, even undewear...ewe.... so no I am a good customer.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:05 AM on May. 17, 2009

• No, I'll just take an exchange if I bring home a pachage of rotten fruit---but I DO take it back if there is a problem---I can't just throw money away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:56 AM on May. 17, 2009

• I agree if something is bad then we're entitled to a refund.
    paula405

Answer by paula405 at 6:42 AM on May. 17, 2009

• I wouldn't ask for anything extra. I have never and probably will never return something to the grocery store, either. I figure it's just as much my fault for not looking at the sell by date. Depending on what it is, I would probably eat it anyway as long as it wasn't past the use by date or if it was only a day or two past the sell by date if there wasn't a use by date.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:16 AM on May. 17, 2009

• I don't ask for anything extra. I know there've been times I've gotten something, like rotten fruit, and they want to just exchange it, and then I have to demand a refund. I don't want to exchange for something else that might be bad, I want my money back so I can buy what I want when and where I want. But I wouldn't ask for extra, unless like one person said, I bought something and it made a bunch of people sick or something.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:16 AM on May. 17, 2009

• the greed in some people is just crazy. I have a friend whose mom will call the 1-800 number on the back of packages, complain about the product and she wasn't happy, blah blah blah...then she gets freebies from that company to make up for her "dissatisfaction"
    In the 90's it was common for people to return formula, from wic, to the store for cash. since then barcodes have improved and people can't get away with as much
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:24 PM on May. 18, 2009