my son is 6 years old and he wets his bed every night, how do i get him to stop.

he wets his bed like 3 or more times per night. he used to wear overnites . he is supposed to stop having fluids at 6pm every night. i work the sfternoon shift and will not be home

mimi8144

Asked by mimi8144 at 12:39 AM on May. 17, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It's very very common for kids that age. My daughter did it all the time, heck half the time she wouldn't even wake up most of the time.

The doctor told me it was often just due to growth BUT you should take him to the doctor to make sure he doesn't have infections and/or kidney problems. Then honestly... rubber sheets on his bed and over nights is the best you can do until he out grows it.
    TabathaM

Answer by TabathaM at 12:46 AM on May. 17, 2009

• While limiting fluids is a common home remedy, it rarely works.
    The first thing you should do is talk to a pediatric urologist. Make sure he has no physical problems that are causing the wetting.
    Once you know that, talk to the doctor about options. One of the most successful choices is a bedwetting alarm. Other options include you waking him during the night.

Just remember that he is not doing anything wrong and he is not alone. Make sure he knows this. Give him love and support, he needs lots of it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:50 AM on May. 17, 2009

• i agree its very common, my father wet his bed until he was 6 and i think i was 9 when i completely stopped (but i did once when i was 11, but that was the last time!)

what worked for me was one of those alarms that you clip to your panties and it registers wetness and an alarm goes off like PP said.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on May. 17, 2009

• it must be a male thing, I hear it with boys that age ALL THE TIME! my brother didn't stop wetting the bed till he was close to 8 yrs old, you just have to wait till he outgrows it
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 1:01 AM on May. 17, 2009

• My 5 year old just recently stopped wetting the bed, although he still has accidents occasionally. One night I forgot to put a pull up on him before bed. It wasn't intentional, I just forgot. The next morning he woke up dry, and came to wake me up to tell me. Of course I gave him high fives, and hugs and kisses, and told him what a great job he did. He said, exact words, "I think it was just a one time thing though." I said "I think you can do it every night if you wanted to". And from that point on I refused to put the pull ups on him, and he has only wet the bed maybe 3 times in the last 3 months. I think he needed that one time, so he could know that he could do it.

Point being, don't push your son. The day will come when he will be able to stay dry all night, and if you try and force it, it's only going to cause frustration and heartache for the both of you.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 1:27 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Great advice so far! :)
    What kind of anxeities does he have in his life? How often is he spending time with you or his father? A lot of times a perfectly healthy kid just has too much stress or inconsistancies in their life.
    squish

Answer by squish at 3:19 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Wake him up at around 11 or 12 every night and help him get accustomed to waking to go to the bathroom. You may have to wake him and help him walk to the bathroom for a while til he starts waking himself.

TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 10:19 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Thank you very much ladies for all your advice, i will certainly try it and i am glad to know that i am not alone......mimi8144
    mimi8144

Answer by mimi8144 at 12:26 PM on May. 17, 2009