At my 18 week u/s I was told that I have anterior complete placenta previa. Anyone ever had to have a c-section through the placenta?

I'm not feeling any kicks on my front right side only on the left and bottom. I'm pretty sure that this is where my placenta is. The tech said that she would alert the dr. but on my following appt. he didn't say ANYTHING. I mentioned it and ended up talking to his back as he was creeping out of the door. He said, "well then, it's not going to move, so don't think that, and that just means a c-section and make sure you get a lot of iron because you are going to lose A LOT of blood, and the amnio is going to bleed, but don't worry I know what I'm doing." OMG, I started to tear up, I'm a real cry baby. But I've been reading about this and I have NONE of the risk factors. Which I know it can still happen, but it's so weird. If the placenta is on the front right of my abdomen, is a placenta really long enough to go all the way down, and completely cover the cervix?? For some reason I am believing that this was a shadow in the u/s. Anybody have some advice, thoughts, experiences?

zweedledee

Asked by zweedledee at 12:56 AM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Please find a different doctor. You are still early enough to do so. You do not want to risk yours or your babies, health. These nine months can effect you entire lives. You have to be your own best advocate.
    kimmie10575

Answer by kimmie10575 at 2:45 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I have no experience, but I work in the medical field. If they think there is any risk of even a partial PP they will do a C-section, but I doubt they would cut straight across the placenta. You should ask to be referred to a Maternal-Fetal Specialist, and they can give you more detailed advice. I would also ask for a more detailed (3D) ultrasound when you are closer to delivering. Sometimes the placentas migrate or move a little in relation to your cervix during the pregnancy, so there is no telling exactly where it will end up by the time you are full term. If you are not comfortable with the explination your OBGYN is giving you, just ask for a second opinion or referral to a specalist. YOUR comfort is most important, don't worry about offending them.
    sapient

Answer by sapient at 1:18 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• First of all, your doctor is a real creep to be that rude at such a scary time in a woman's life. Honey, you're only 18 weeks, that sucker has PLENTY of time to move and trust me, it most like will. I had partial placenta previa and I stressed and stressed and as I got bigger, that sucker just moved right on up. And I did end up having a c-section but not because of that, she was just hung up and couldn't get out. Everyone is different but I was praying for a scheduled c-section to miss out on all that labor pain - who wants that? Turns out, they didn't schedule me, I still had the pain and had the surgery. The surgery is really a piece of cake, nothing to be afraid of. A little sore for a few weeks and then you're fine.
    renrut3907

Answer by renrut3907 at 1:23 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• i actually had this. i had to have a c section. but they didnt have to cut through the placenta. i didnt feel my baby kick at all after 6 months. you should start taking iron pills and eating alot of food with iron in it about 8 months into your pregnacy if you truly do have this. i had to have 2 blood transfusions because i didnt have enough iron in my blood and i lost too much blood. but dont stress so much because drs do this procedure all the time. if you have any questions you can message me
    JerzisMommy

Answer by JerzisMommy at 4:06 AM on Jun. 21, 2008