how can I get him to drink water? 16month old son.

I want to get my son to drink more water cause summer is coming and it will be too hot to lug around a sippy with milk and we dont do juice....can I put a TAD of like crystal light flavoring in it or something, Im not sure! Thanks ladies

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 1:11 AM on May. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I like to squeeze some sort of fruit into my DD's water. She loves when I put a squeeze of orange, lemon, or strawberries into it...She won't drink water w/out a little flavoring. I guess I spoiled her. LOL. I never used anything like crystal light though. I just squeezed an actual peice of fruit into her water.
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 1:22 AM on May. 17, 2009

• I like to put ice in his sippy cup so he can hear it clunking around and it makes it fun for him. Also, I'll put some in my own cup and then when he wants MINE, I just pour it into his and he drinks it cause he thinks its something special.

He use to drink water all the time and I never gave him juice. One day his Daddy decided too and this has been the only way I can get him to go back to drinking water.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 1:31 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Gerber makes a flavored water for babies called Gerber Splashers. It's got like 5% juice, just enough to taste I guess, but my son loves it! It comes in tropical fruit, grape, strawberry kiwi and cherry. It's got the flavor that plain water doesn't provide, and none of the empty calories of sugar loaded juices.
    lynnseyfaye

Answer by lynnseyfaye at 1:51 AM on May. 17, 2009

• My DDs always want MY bottle of water. If you give him plain water with a sport top on it (the squeezy ones), then he'll most likely drink from it. You may get some spills (not so much if you open the top 1/2 way), but at least he's getting some water.
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 2:56 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Personally, I would take away the milk for a few days, but let him have a sippy with water the entire day, including taking it to bed. Don't MAKE him drink the water, though, "woo" him into it, Have water for yourself all day too, and just toss out little comments about how great it is, but not necessacerily directly at him... he is watching you all the time. It might take a day or so, but eventually he will be interested in what you are interested in. You might also want to try purchasing a special water cup strictly for water and make a big fuss over it. I would not get him hooked on flavored water. You could also try having milk as a reward for drinking water, or silly straws, or playing outside in the sprinkler. You could make a big deal about how pets and plants get to drink water and have him help water them. :)
    squish

Answer by squish at 3:15 AM on May. 17, 2009

• DD drinks anything we're drinking. So basically I had to change my husband's drinking habits from tea to water and then she would drink water all day long. I also let her drink it out of a regular cup b/c that's special to her.
    AndrisMom

Answer by AndrisMom at 11:10 AM on May. 17, 2009

• I wouldn't use Crystal Light, it's full of artificial sweetener. If you really want to flavor it, go with some of the other suggestions.
    AndrisMom

Answer by AndrisMom at 11:13 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Babies seem to like flavor - plain boring water just isn't worth drinking! lol Float a slice of fruit in his sippy cup, add an ounce of juice or a touch of honey, or look for one of the flavoring mixes made for babies and young children (I picked up one box at a "scratch and dent" grocery that came from the Middle East somewhere). I only had to flavor the sippy cup for a couple months before my son decided that water was plenty interesting on its own and he didn't need anything else, thank you very much.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 12:42 PM on May. 17, 2009