Headbutting is this normal???

My son is 12 mnts and has for a month or 2 been headbutting not in anger. He does it and then waits a min and then does it again. Also he shakes his head ALOT like "No" but is does not seem to be in response to me or his father. Is this normal or am I just another worried Mom? Thank for your time!

Sarahedger

Asked by Sarahedger at 2:02 AM on May. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This is normal and a phase. It will pass. Don't let him hurt you and Daddy or himself. When it gets too much, & he does it, put him down. When he wants back up, take him. Repeat. He will eventually not do it. Now, head-BANGING is another phase (that I first thought you said) that is also normal, and in anger or frustration, and is a phase that will pass. More to come on that, thought I'd give you a "heads up" no pun intended! LOL!

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 3:15 AM on May. 17, 2009

• my son did this. he did it younger than 12, but by then he had most of his teeth. is he teething? normally kids do this when they're teething cuz it helps the pain. i guess they put the pain in their head so they don't think of the pain in their mouth lol...but yeah it's normal. maybe your SO and ds can make a game out of it? they can headbutt each other, and make it a "only him and daddy" thing. this way you can have your SO monitor how hard he's hitting his head, and they can have some bonding time. that's what my dh did with our son. just be sure you enforce that it's ONLY for him and daddy, not to headbut anyone else.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:07 AM on May. 17, 2009

• I think it's totally normal too! I always make sure that Cash is on a blanket so him and the hardwood don't become better aquainted!*L* I usually double up another and put it under the blanket hes on close to his head!!
    mommyhero

Answer by mommyhero at 3:33 AM on May. 17, 2009