Headbutting is this normal???

My son is 12 mnts and has for a month or 2 been headbutting not in anger. He does it and then waits a min and then does it again. Also he shakes his head ALOT like "No" but is does not seem to be in response to me or his father. Is this normal or am I just another worried Mom? Thank for your time!

Sarahedger

Asked by Sarahedger at 2:03 AM on May. 17, 2009 in Health

• my son is also 12 months and does the same exact thing. They are learning they can do it, so they do. It is nothing to worry about.
    myangel21

Answer by myangel21 at 9:50 AM on May. 17, 2009

• It sounds like he his exploring what his body can do. this is normal.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:03 AM on May. 17, 2009

• I don't think its particularly healthy. I would talk to his ped. about it. If he's doing it and then pausing, then doing it again, he could be looking for your response. If you laugh or comment, then its something to do again. Children love responses, and don't seem to mind negative ones either.

I would try this first.  Look away and appear to be distracted by something else when he does this. If he's doing it for your response, then he won't have a reason to continue. :) Take care of that little brain. Even mild bumps can become concussions.

lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 12:30 PM on May. 17, 2009