• In the Spotlight:

Not walking yet?????

My wonderful son is not walking he can pull up to a stand and can walk while holding on to things but if he lets go watch out! He may take one step on the way down. All of my friends kids are walking and my Mom says I am holding him to much which I do hold him a bit but he does have floor time and crib time too. I am wondering when is it normal that babies learn to walk? Thank you much!

Sarahedger

Asked by Sarahedger at 2:12 AM on May. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Oh, he is extremely cute, and looks way too smart to crawl his whole life! Yes, I know it can panic you when they aren't walking by 12 mos, however, doctor's just want them mobile, even crawling or scooting by 12 mos, cruising by 18 mos, and walking usually comes shortly after that. My nephew didn't walk until 14 mos, and started talking really early, and potty trained really early. So don't let him being a later walker make you think that he'll always be late. That just isn't necessarily the case. Also, it's hard NOT to compare your son to others, but babies all develop at their own pace, not by the book. I always say that "He'll be (whatever) walking, talking, potty-trained, etc) by junior high! It relieves me of looking at the calendar wondering if it will be today! Have a great day!

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:03 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Usually at around a year to 14 months. But some kids just take a little longer.

pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 2:15 AM on May. 17, 2009

• i heard boys usually take a bit longer for walking and potty training then girls. good luck!
    Anonymous_J

Answer by Anonymous_J at 2:17 AM on May. 17, 2009

• doctors don't start worrying until about 18 months, and that's if they're not cruising. if they'r cruising at that age then they're not worried. don't worry momma, every baby works at their own pace.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 2:18 AM on May. 17, 2009

• My husband works with a guy whos son didnt start walking until 18 months hes fine he was just lazy he was also a very fat baby.
    MoMMyto2971

Answer by MoMMyto2971 at 8:50 AM on May. 17, 2009

• My daughter started walking unassisted at 10 months. My mom said I walked unassisted around 12 months and my brother didn't let go of the furniture untill 14 months. Every child is differnt. If you are concerned talk to the Dr. But if he isn't over 18 months I wouldn't worry too much....At least you know he CAN stand up and walk, he just needs some time to be confident enough to let go.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 12:01 PM on May. 17, 2009

• sarah i would not worry at all, he needs time to accomplish is own goals,all he needs is a little therapy to reeinforce the muscles of the trunck and the legs, work also on the stability and balance, practice walking on the grass if he falls it will be on soft ground,
    my daughter Chelsea is 2 year old and she is practicing walking because of low muscle tone on the waist,she is getting to walk more confident now,
    hope this help you, i would worry if he was not crusing at all,,,,
    tine10

Answer by tine10 at 12:08 PM on May. 17, 2009

• 14 months is the AVERAGE age children start walking. Because that's an "average," that means some kids walk before (as early as six months reported by a mom I know) and some kids walk later (possibly after age two though I don't personally know any kids who started up this late). Kids who are otherwise healthy and don't have any known disabilities have a surprisingly wide range of what's normal development for them. Some walk early and spend months mastering basic balance and footwork; others take their time and go from toddling to running before you can catch your breath. Same with talking. Some start using words before they're a year, others babble incoherently until the day, close to age four, when they suddenly come out with coherent full sentences. If you think there's a problem, talk to your pedi. Otherwise, keep encouraging the skill and he'll surprise you one day. :-)
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 12:36 PM on May. 17, 2009