Have you ever been swayed?

Has your faith every been swayed or influenced by people spewing hate, trashing another faith, spreading misinformation, acting closed minded, or just general negativity? And if no one can say that they have been swayed toward the faith of the person doing this, is that person not doing their faith and all those who practice their faith with love and understanding a major disservice?

mandaday

Asked by mandaday at 2:49 AM on May. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• http://www.greatsite.com/timeline-english-bible-history/william-tyndale.html
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:49 AM on May. 17, 2009

• What does that have to do with my question?
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 2:52 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Okay, I do have a few friends now who were very outspoken. They would tell me straight up that I was wrong in my unbiblical beliefs. They would drive me nuts! I didn't want to be their friend because I was scared of them telling me I was wrong. ha ha. But they were right and I just didn't like being corrected (pride).

I now look up to them trememdously. One in particular is a missionary in Morocco and he couldn't do that if he wasn't brave and bold. It is against the law to evangelize there. I know his boldness and passion is a gift from God.

But they never attacked people personally, or beat up on people verbally. They were respectful but forward. I wish I could be more direct sometimes : ) But I do NOT think that anyone who is a jerk will attract people to my faith. And I was attracted to the message of Jesus first, and that was encouraged by the dear Christians who showed me the love of Christ. There has to be love.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:58 AM on May. 17, 2009

• I meant I hope we all realize

mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 3:02 AM on May. 17, 2009

• no hate speech has never made me rethink my faith
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 3:03 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Has your faith every been swayed or influenced by people spewing hate, trashing another faith, spreading misinformation, acting closed minded, or just general negativity?

It absolutely has. It has made me more judgmental, less trusting, and less forgiving of anyone who practices the same faith. If they don't speak up and speak against those types of individuals, it must be silent assent. It also makes the individual doing the spewing completely without credibility regardless of the topic. So, say for instance, someone ranting and raving in here about all Mormons are going to Hell, I'm sure not going to listen to anything they have to say about how to help your kid get over being afraid of the dark in the School Age section.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:03 AM on May. 17, 2009

• -cont'd-

So as a result, it makes me that much stronger in my own faith, and that much more trusting of others who practice the same.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:04 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Couldn't have said it better NP
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:06 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Oh snap!!! I just reread the question. I don't know how I forgot what the original question is after I read some responses and then I totally answered as if I was saying, "YES. I am an idiot. I love to follow people who spew hate, spread misinformation, trash other faiths, act closed minded, and general negativity." LOL.

It IS late, you know : )

My answer to your question would be no. I was not swayed by people like that and I know what you are talking about. I just had a brain toot. The guy I was talking about was nice, just forthright and passionate : )

Maybe I should go to bed now, lol.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 3:07 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Cinnamon-mom....brain toot...that was funny LOL
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:10 AM on May. 17, 2009