After you divorce your husband would you or is it okay to keep his last name?

I like my sons name and think my maiden name wouldn't sound right with it. I personally wouldn't want my last name to be different from my sons.

lmsar

Asked by lmsar at 2:57 AM on May. 17, 2009 in Relationships

• When I got married 7 years ago, I added my married name to my maiden name. I also wanted to keep my sons last name (which was my maiden name). Normally women keep their hubands last name after a divorce though
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:59 AM on May. 17, 2009

• After I divorced, I immediately took back my maiden name! A lot of women keeps his name, usually because she bared his child(ren) and would like to keep the same last name as her child(ren). Not in my case, my ex is an idiot and a cheater, therefore I would not want anyone knowing how I was related to him, LMAO Just kidding, well kinda!
    Mommyof3inWa

Answer by Mommyof3inWa at 3:02 AM on May. 17, 2009

• If you don't want your last name to be different than your children, then that is FINE! My aunt (my dad's sister) has been divorced from my uncle for almost 17 years. Her maiden name is the same as my last name (I'm still not married yet) and she's kept her married name. She's never changed it back for some reason. It's OK whatever you decide. I think it's nice that you're thinking of your children too.

The great thing about women and marriage is that you have all of these options! You can keep your last name, hyphenate, take his. When you get divorced, you can still go back or keep it.
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 3:20 AM on May. 17, 2009

• I feel it depends if you have children, If you have children than you probably want to keep the same name. If no children, or adult children you might want to go back to your maiden name.

I think it is very personal decision.

DianaRo42

Answer by DianaRo42 at 3:42 AM on May. 17, 2009

• I would keep it. It's the name my children have. And if you are the first wife, well.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 6:30 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Alot of women will keep there last name cause they want there last name the same as there child/ren. Alot of judges will honor that wish also. I do know in some state that if your ex does'nt want you to keep his last name then you may have to fight for it, I do know if you have children the judge honors that wish.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 6:31 AM on May. 17, 2009

• I think you would want to share the same last name with your kids. But it is just my opinion.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 7:32 AM on May. 17, 2009

• I would keep his l ast name, mostly because of our 3 children. But if he were to remarry before I did, I would go back to my maiden name. His last name would then belong to her and not me.

ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 7:45 AM on May. 17, 2009

• I didn't keep my ex husbands name ...we didn't have any kids together. But my Mom kept hers and still has it. Her and my Dad have been divorced over 20 years now. She wanted to keep the same name as us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 AM on May. 17, 2009

• I kept mine simply because I knew I was getting remarried as soon as was legal to do so, and I didn't see the sense of changing the documents (social security, driver's license, etc) twice so close together. I also had kids with the jerk, and I also kept it for the month because of them.
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 8:14 AM on May. 17, 2009