• In the Spotlight:

I really think this is a new take on "Music Class" don't you?

I believe in the public school system because I HAVE to and want to believe in it. So, when I compare my sons music class in a regular public school in a middle/lower class neighborhood to the following link, I wonder......Why is my son playing 3 Blind Mice on the recorder and singing some song that teaches them nothing but the basics when you can have a teacher like this.... I am going to try to post the link.

Gigi1969

Asked by Gigi1969 at 3:32 AM on May. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I don't know. It's true children would get so much more for a music or any other class if the teachers were more enthusiastic and listened to the needs and interest of their class. Making class fun is so important especially in the lower grades. If you have the kids bored with school and learning by the fourth grade how do you expect them to make it though 8 more years or school. How lucky the kids in that video are to have a teacher like that. I hope and pray my son will get an awesome teacher next year as he starts Kindergarten in a public school. If I could afford private school or to home school you can bet I would do that for him but this is not a perfect world and the truth is many many people are forced to depend on and believe in the public school system we have been dealt. The best thing we can do is to set our expectations high and and make them clear maybe we can make them hear us one day.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:45 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 3:33 AM on May. 17, 2009

• It looks like that is chorus...which is voluntary. It's not a music class. My kids' school has a choir the kids can choose to join and they sing more involved songs then the music class.

Plus you need to start with the basics to actually learn music. I learned to play the violin in 9th grade (and was in my high school orchestra for 3 years) and the first thing we learned to play was Mary Had a Little Lamb. We worked on it for a week (we had class for an hour every day). Then we moved up to something equally boring and simple.

Music teachers should be engaging their students, though. My kids love their music teacher. They have music twice a week and a third music class that teaches them songs for church (they go to a Catholic school). They love that teacher too, who is 90+ years old.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:41 AM on May. 17, 2009