I dont understand how this works

I recently read a very sad post about a women who lost her first child due to miscarriage because of different blood types between her and her SO...people gave her advice and told her about the RH shot(s)...what I dont understand is how different blood types can equal miscarriage and how the RH shot works..I just dont get the whole situation...Can someone please explain it to me I feel bad that I couldnt help her because I have no idea why shes going through what shes going through...

hug4akiss

Asked by hug4akiss at 3:43 AM on May. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• that makes no sense to me

xxmorgynxx

Answer by xxmorgynxx at 6:37 AM on May. 17, 2009

• I know that if both parents are either O+ or O- (it one or the other i cant remember,i think it O-) that it can cause problem, i dont think it causes miscarriage though, did you try goggling it??
    AtticusJsmum

Answer by AtticusJsmum at 7:08 AM on May. 17, 2009

• so i googled it
    Each of the four blood types is additionally classified according to the presence of another protein on the surface of RBCs that indicates the Rh factor. If you carry this protein, you are Rh positive. If you don't carry the protein, you are Rh negative.

Most people — about 85% — are Rh positive. But if a woman who is Rh negative and a man who is Rh positive conceive a baby, there is the potential for a baby to have a health problem. The baby growing inside the Rh-negative mother may have Rh-positive blood, inherited from the father. Approximately half of the children born to an Rh-negative mother and Rh-positive father will be Rh positive.

Rh incompatibility usually isn't a problem if it's the mother's first pregnancy because, unless there's some sort of abnormality, the fetus's blood does not normally enter the mother's circulatory system during the course of the pregnancy.

AtticusJsmum

Answer by AtticusJsmum at 7:12 AM on May. 17, 2009

• However, during delivery, the mother's and baby's blood can intermingle. If this happens, the mother's body recognizes the Rh protein as a foreign substance and can begin producing antibodies (protein molecules in the immune system that recognize, and later work to destroy, foreign substances) against the Rh proteins introduced into her blood.

Rh antibodies are harmless until the mother's second or later pregnancies. If she is ever carrying another Rh-positive child, her Rh antibodies will recognize the Rh proteins on the surface of the baby's blood cells as foreign, and pass into the baby's bloodstream and attack those cells. This can lead to swelling and rupture of the baby's RBCs. A baby's blood count can get dangerously low when this condition
    AtticusJsmum

Answer by AtticusJsmum at 7:13 AM on May. 17, 2009

• both my pregnancies i had to have the RH shot because my blood type is O- and anyone with that blood type has to have that shot or your body will try to rid of the baby...you really can't understand it fully unless you have had to go through it so don't feel bad.
    busymamma503

Answer by busymamma503 at 9:30 AM on May. 17, 2009

• You do not have to have the RH shot just because you are O-. The only time it is an issue is if the baby is positive and the mom is negative and their blood mixes during pregnancy or delivery. It does not typically make a difference with the frist pregnancy, but it can effect others after that. For me DH is O- too so the only blood type my kids can be is O- so I DO NOT HAVE to get the shot.

http://www.rhogam.com/Patient/WhatRhNegativeMeans/Pages/WhatdoseitmeantoRhNegative.aspx

This is a good site to read up on it.  There are possible side effects of the shot so I would highly recommend finding out what your DH is before getting the shot.

aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:19 AM on May. 17, 2009