my 10 month old son is sick for first time...

He's wheezing coughing sneezing and congested. He hasn't slept more than a few hours tonight and I'm all out of ideas to make him feel better. Hes never ever been sick before and I could really use some help. What can I give him for medicine? Should I bring him to the hospital? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

MissMamaAshley

Asked by MissMamaAshley at 3:52 AM on May. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We went through that for the first time when our little guy was about 9 months. Elevate his head a little (with a pillow or folded towel) which will help him breathe. If you have a cool mist humidifier, that should help. Have you given him any Tylenol? You probably don't need to take him to the hospital unless he has a high fever.

I'm sure you're exhausted but keep giving him lots of love and try to keep him comfy! Good luck :)
    Mandarina23

Answer by Mandarina23 at 4:25 AM on May. 17, 2009

• If he's wheezing, he needs to be seen by a doctor.

Other than that, for a cold:

Elevate his head (we put towels under the mattress)
    run a humidifier (cool mist or steam which ever works better for him)
    steam in the bathroom and suction his nose
    saline nasal drops and suction
    Tylenol for discomfort.

Don't suction unless you can hear or think you can easily get the snot. Too much suctioning can cause the nasal passages to inflame making it more difficult for him to breathe.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:24 AM on May. 17, 2009

• In the first two years of life baby can average up to 10 or 15 cold viruses. If this is your babies first you've been lucky. After raising four children in a physicians home my advise to you when baby gets sick is see your pediatrician. Under the age of two is a delicate time. Simple colds are usually nothing more then simple colds, however, if your baby is having trouble sleeping and is wheezing call your doctor and they will help you over the phone. Pediatricians receive calls all day and night from young parents who are not sure. This is their job and they will receive your questions with compassion. If they do  not you need to find a different Pediatrician.  Don't medicate your baby with anything until you have gotten professional advise. Hope this helped

Shirgrace

Answer by Shirgrace at 8:27 AM on May. 17, 2009

• ANOTHER THING IS TO RUB A LITTLE BIT OF VICKS BEHIND HIS EARS AND ON HIS FEET WITH SOCKS. CALL THE DOCTOR ABOUT THE WHEEZING
    NATI2124

Answer by NATI2124 at 12:59 PM on May. 17, 2009