How do I get my daughter to move things ons...

ARGH! My daughter has soooooo much stuff. Her room is cute but tiny! She needs to move things on -- those things that no longer hold her interest -- but she really has a hard time doing that. I work with child therapists and they all tell me..."don't do it w/out her...she needs to be a part of the process..." But its a struggle to get her to let go to things -- even if she hasn't played with it in months. What are YOUR suggestions. Please remember, she's only 6 so "logic" and "reason" doesn't always work.

AislinnAsparas

Asked by AislinnAsparas at 8:06 AM on May. 17, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Try getting her to divide her stuff into trash bags, say 3 trash bags, and put two away -let her help put them in the attic or wherever you store things, and once a month let her pick what bag to bring out. Every time she exchanges bags, see if before she packs up the old bag whether it is time to get rid of some things she is tired of playing with. If not, fine. The new bag will be full of things that will catch her attention, so the best time to try to pare down items is when she has played with them for a month and may agree to let some go.

Answer by Bmat at 9:13 AM on May. 17, 2009

• I know what the therapists tell you, but unless your daughter has some issues that might cause it to be a problem, I find doing it without them is the best way. I send my kids to grandma's house for a day or an afternoon right before birthdays and Christmas and go thru their toybox. My mom used to do it when I was asleep, since she couldn't send me somewhere else. I donate what I can, and throw away what is broken or otherwise unusable. I know what they play with regularly and that stuff doesn't go anywhere without their ok. They never even notice the stuff that is gone. I think maybe ONE time they've noticed something was missing, and I just told them they didn't play with it anymore, so I gave it away. They pouted for maybe a minute and then moved on. Sometimes you have to do things that sound horrible in order to get things done.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:48 AM on May. 17, 2009

• I did this with my son when he wea four. I put out 3 blankets one was to throw away (broken stuff or missing pieces) one was to give away (to kids that don't have any toys) and one was to keep. He tried to keep everything of course but when I said your too big for that, lets give it to a baby that doesn't have one, and we took the give away toys to the shelter.
    northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 10:01 AM on May. 17, 2009

• I think you need to do it with her and have it very clean, with everything in it's place and a place for everything. In other words, if she can't even fit another tee shirt into her drawer, it's gonna end up on the floor!!!
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 10:15 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Have her pick ten things that she does not play with. Put them in a box in the basement or attic or somewhere else out of the way. What ever she does not ask for back in 30 days can go to a thrift shop, freecycle, etc.
    We hung a big piece of fishnet from the ceiling; it is loaded with stuffed animals.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:19 AM on May. 17, 2009

• my son is like that. I give him a choice, all his toys have tp fit in his toy box or bin and they have to close. If not i get to go in and i take what ever is on top until it closes all the way! It worked!! he even got rid of more then i thought he would!
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 2:52 PM on May. 17, 2009

• lol my sister use to do that and still does... my parents would give her a week to decided what she didn't want or need anymore. she had to put it in a bag and then my parents would go through it and go through her room just in case. if she didn't do it (and she was warned) then daddy would come in and get rid of anything he thought she didn't need. and believe me it only took one time before she did as she was told. after she went through her room everything she didn't use when to needy kids. so my sister had a clean room and felt better that she helped a kid who wasn't as well off as us.
    EricaMarieElli

Answer by EricaMarieElli at 8:00 PM on May. 17, 2009

• My daughter is 8 and we have been going through her toys twice a yr. for about 3 yrs if not longer now. I explain to her that there are other children out there that dont have any toys and that since we, well, she doesnt play with them anymore we should give them to some other little girl to have fun with. She has been really good about this, and she gets to go through her toys and either myself, or her aunt help her. We throw away broken or missing parts toys and games and place her other toys into a box and then we both take them to the places to be placed out to families in need. And to help her with letting go of "stuff" I also go through my clothes and even the food pantry to give away things I dont ware or food thats just not needed for us. I think it builds character in the child to know that they CAN help others even if they dont have tons of money.
    TLW514

Answer by TLW514 at 9:49 PM on May. 17, 2009