3 yr old keeps getting frequent fevers...help!

My daughter is 3 yrs old. About 8 days days ago she woke up with a fever. I treated with tylenol and it went away in about 20 minutes. She was perfectly fine and running around (like her usual self). Later that night her fever came back (102) so I gave her more tylenol. I ended up taking her to the peditrician the next day and the doctor tested her for strep throat which came back negative. She told me to give her motrin because she had a virus that going around pretty heavy in my area. I gave her motrin after we left the office and the fever didnt come back for 2 days. However, She's has been waking up every morning with a fever for the last 4 days. Once I give her meds, shes fine for the remainder of the day. Me, the hubby, and my 2 yr old all have colds also, maybe thats contributing to it? Im taking her back to the pedi soon because she has never got fevers this long. Has this happen to anyone? Any advice is appreciated.

Bella05

Asked by Bella05 at 8:20 AM on May. 17, 2009 in Kids' Health

• It did happen to my sons, I remember well the sinking feeling that I'd get each morning when the fever was up again. For my older son we were trying to get him well enough to have tonsil surgery, but his tonsils were so infected that he stayed sick. (They finally just did the surgery, but it was a long recovery time.) Anyway, for both children it was that their tonsils were infected and had to come out. In general, fevers are the body's way of killing off unwanted germs, so reducing a low fever may not be advised anymore, but the fact that this fever has run on with your daughter signals to me that maybe another visit to the doctor or at least a phone call may be a good idea, for reassurance if nothing else. Good luck! I hope she feels better soon. Would you please post a followup?

Answer by Bmat at 8:33 AM on May. 17, 2009

• i had that with my DD..the only symptoms she had was a fever and it turned out she had a UTI
    FL_Mommy_2

Answer by FL_Mommy_2 at 8:47 AM on May. 17, 2009

• My son had a virus like that but his fevers were in the evening and at night after a week it finally stopped. weird.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:43 PM on May. 17, 2009

• My son has always been like that, his pediatrician calls it a fever virus. He only runs a fever and nothing else is wrong with him.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:50 PM on May. 17, 2009