My milk is drying up my son is 9 months old he still needs me for 3 more months???

windinhair28

Asked by windinhair28 at 8:50 AM on May. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Stay hydrated, be patient, sometimes the milk adjusts to the babies needs and maybe the flow is just less due to that . If baby acts hungry then maybe there is a problem.
    minasmama6

Answer by minasmama6 at 8:52 AM on May. 17, 2009

• That is the thing he is always hungry and nurseing the doc said he is not gaining enough weight so we had to start supplementing this is how we found the problem he hates the formula so trying to get him to drink I started to pump to mix with the formula and well less then an once after 3 hours not good!!!
    windinhair28

Answer by windinhair28 at 8:58 AM on May. 17, 2009

• What you pump means NOTHING. At all. If he's always hungry, keep nursing, whenever he wants. It'll boost your supply, and help him gain. I would steer clear of supplements, because they can be damaging to your supply, but I don't know the whole picture (with the weight concerns). It's likely that you don't need to supplement. Can you provide me with more info? What else (if anything) does he eat/drink? He might be going through a growth spurt.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:18 AM on May. 17, 2009

• And can you tell me his weight, and last few weights?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:19 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Start using formula to supplement. He doesn't need you, you need him. He can survive off formula and food. That is why formula was made after all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on May. 17, 2009

• When my milk supply decreased as i couldn't feed bub, the nurses suggested going to the doctors. There are tablets you can take to increase your supply. These did not work for me and i dried up but other mums who's bubs couldn't feed were happy with the increased supply.
    LittleMissIlana

Answer by LittleMissIlana at 9:32 AM on May. 17, 2009

• I pray things get better but don't feel bad if you need to use formula he needs to gain weight maybe you are so stressed the supply is going down . do you know how to meditiate I know it is hard when your worried about your babys but get some warm water relax a warm bath relaxing might help your milk Carnantion has some milk that tastes bettter
    goatmom4

Answer by goatmom4 at 9:35 AM on May. 17, 2009

• I'm not convinced your supply is low.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:38 AM on May. 17, 2009

• I was never good at pumping either. But, the kids were growing and healthy. Only my second child of six children had a problem with nursing. He had a problem with reflux and I was inexperienced in how to nurse through the problem. With the later kids I just kept trying to get them to nurse until they got through the difficult phase. I did have a couple of breast infections which made them nurse less and it seemed like I was decreasing in milk supply. However, nursing through it and being persistent was the solution to that problem. Hope it goes well for you. My last son was hardly ever sick until he stopped nursing at 14 months and shortly after got bronchitis. The dr. said that my milk had been helping him fight it off. So, it's worth the extra effort if you still want to continue.
    minasmama6

Answer by minasmama6 at 9:50 AM on May. 17, 2009

• By nine months, your child should not only be able to drink formula as a supplement (if you want) but he should be eating baby food. Baby rice cereal can be given at as young as four months. I don't necessarily think you need to stop BF'ing, but he's hungry because he's ready for baby food. I probably actually *wouldn't* supplement with formula, I would just start feeding him baby food, as well, and let him BF as he likes. Breastfeeding is great, and suggested for one year, but not exclusively.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on May. 17, 2009