How do I determine a size for a bridesmaid's dress 6-weeks after birth?

My best friend in the world (going on 30yrs of friendship) is getting married in October. I will be the matron of honor and need to purchase a dress and figure out how to fly across country with a 6-week old infant. HELP! I do not know where to begin.

momokittypants

Asked by momokittypants at 9:27 AM on May. 17, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Well the dress size will be hard as your tend to still have a ton of water weight left or you could go back to your normal size or a size or two bigger. So that is a hard one. As for flying if you bottle feed have a bottle ready at the landing for the baby to drink to avoid pressure in the ears. If your nursing its the same or use a pacifier to help pop the ears while taking off and landing. More than likely the baby will sleep during the flight and never know what happened at that age. Pack as lightly as you can and do the curb side check in to avoid the long lines inside and they take care of the bags for you then you can park and only worry about the baby. Make sure you have the money to pay for checked bags if the airline requires it. You can take the infant seat and stroller to the gate and have it checked at the gate when you get on the plane other than that enjoy your flight, stay clam and relaxed and have fun.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:32 AM on May. 17, 2009

• also lots of hand sanitizer, keep baby covered and pepole awway from the baby. that is a bad tme of the year for cold and flus and a cold can easily turn into something serious in ababy that young.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 1:23 PM on May. 17, 2009

• What if your baby is 3 weeks late? What if you have a c-section and can't travel. I suppose an empire waist dress would be best; I was wearing all of my pre-baby clothes at 8 weeks post partum

Answer by rkoloms at 2:01 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I was always told that pregnant women buying a dress for shortly after they're supposed to give birth should get a dress that is two sizes larger than their normal size (unless you've gained massive amounts of weight, you might want to go a tad bit larger). Dresses can be altered very easily up or down two sizes without damage to the dress. That way, you have enough room for yourself if you don't lose as much weight as you'd like to in time and if you do lose all of the weight, the dress can be taken in to your correct size easily.

I would suggest something that has a structured bodice that has some sort of embelishment that can hide an untoned tummy. A-line and empire dresses that hide the hips can sometimes lay in unflattering ways against the stomach area (especially in a solid color). One of my BMs had just had a baby and wore this:http://jordanfashions.com/products.asp?nCatID=1&nProductID=766&nPhotoID=20118
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:34 PM on May. 17, 2009

• (in a different color). The style of the dress is slimming and the detailing of the fabric around the waist distracts from any flab or imperfections of the waist.

Good luck!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:35 PM on May. 17, 2009

• with my first 2 children I only gained 20lbs. 2 sizes up would have done the trick. but baby #3 I gain 40lbs and went from a size 4 to size 14. Personally I wouldn't go to this wedding with a baby this young. Wouldn't want to expose my newborn to all those germs plans are famous for
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 8:00 PM on May. 17, 2009

• have it made.... than it will keep getting sized to fit you...my wedding is in august and my baby is dune at the end of june so the lady has to work around my belly to make mine but she doesnt charge for alterations so its a lot easier than guessing or than being charged to have a business do it
    mommy492006

Answer by mommy492006 at 9:10 PM on May. 17, 2009