Why don't the doctors tell you this?

When I was pregnant with my DS I did tons of research on toxoplasmosis and the risks involving scooping a litterbox during pregnancy because I have two cats, and worked cleaning cat cages in an animal shelter. (no avoiding poop there!)

Anyway, I wanted to tell people this: The eggs found in cat feces that cause toxoplasmosis hatch or whatever 24 hours after shedding. As long as you clean your litter box once a day you're fairly safe. For those with doubts, wear a dust-mask to keep the litter dust from your face and gloves to protect your hands. Wash your hands regularly anyway.

Also, if your cat has been an indoor cat for the year leading up to your pregnancy, you're safe because the cat can't have been exposed to it. Ask your doctor for a titer to test for anti-bodies to it, and he or she will be able to tell whether or not you've been exposed. (continued)

BisketLiss

Asked by BisketLiss at 9:29 AM on May. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It's probably easier to just say "don't do this" or "do this" than "you can do this if you blah blah blah." If they say the latter, then a good portion of people will probably do whatever it is wrong and not according to the doctor's instructions and then end up with toxoplasmosis or whatever and then the doctor has to deal with that as well, plus the woman would want to sue them. So it's just easier in the long run to say "don't do this."
    My midwife told me not to eat venison because of toxoplasmosis and we researched it and now I eat it.

To sum up - they probably figure if you're smart you'll do your own research, if you're stupid their asses are covered
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:01 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Wow that's good info to know! When is was prego I actually sat and researched the dos and dont's since they didnt tell me...
    gavinsmoma

Answer by gavinsmoma at 9:30 AM on May. 17, 2009

• If you've been exposed, you'll have antibodies, and the doctor can tell you whether or not you should risk exposure or not. If you dont' have antibodies, and your cat is an indoor cat, you're safe and shouldn't worry too much about catching toxoplasmosis that way, but keep in mind there are other ways of getting it, such as: Ingestion of raw or partly cooked meat, especially pork, lamb, or venison containing Toxoplasma cysts, Drinking water contaminated with Toxoplasma, receiving an infected blood transfusion, or obviously your child can get it from you while pregnant.

cat faeces are not generally contagious for the first day or two after excretion, after which the cyst 'ripens' and becomes potentially pathogenic. Studies have shown that only about 2% of cats are shedding oocysts at any one time, and that oocyst shedding does not recur even after repeated exposure to the parasite.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:33 AM on May. 17, 2009

• I HATE CATS SO MUCH THEY REMIND ME OF BIG RATS FOR REAL.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Anon, bug off. Seriously, this post had nothing to do with disliking cats, and it's just rude of you to post that here. Go play elsewhere if that's all you can think to say.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:56 AM on May. 17, 2009

• it's just to keep you safe.... cats are nasty
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Instead of focusing on cats, I wish Drs would also point out you can pick it up from raw meat. With either kitty boxes or meat, make sure you wash your hands thoroughly afterwards. Also, if you were exposed before getting pregnant (quite probable) you cannot get an active toxo infection while pregnant - unless a repeat exposure triggers an active case which happens rarely.

A vet blogger I read (www.dolittler.com) pointed out OB's deal with possibilities rather than probabilities to protect themselves from malpractice claims. In other words, instead of giving you the scientific probability of something happening, they give you the emotional possibility and try to scare the crap out of you. If we listened to everything the OB's say, we'd be wrapped in cotton gauze and stored in a cupboard for the duration of pregnancy!
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 10:07 AM on May. 17, 2009