How to stop breast milk from coming in?

Its been 2 months since I had my son. And I still have breast milk coming in. I am not bfing him, formula only. I thought my milk would stop? When will it stop..cause my boobs are killing me and my back.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on May. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wow! It's pretty amazing you haven't dried up yet. I'd consult my doctor or a lactation specialist if I were you. Mine dried up pretty quickly, but I breastfed for 10 months, so I don't know if that makes a difference.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 9:54 AM on May. 17, 2009

• It can take days, to weeks, to months, even sometimes years. Every one is different. You might consider taking cold cabbage leaves, breaking the veins, and placing them in your bra until warm, then repeating with cold ones again. This is known to help dry milk up. Cold compresses and motrin for the discomfort.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:12 AM on May. 17, 2009

• it's not as common now lol, but i was told there is a medication that they (ob/gyn or doc) can give you that will dry you up. Ask, they don't usually just perscribed :) gl
    defiantpromises

Answer by defiantpromises at 10:19 AM on May. 17, 2009

• I think the drug was discontinued, I believe it had some connection with cancer. Or something else that isn't good.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:28 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Why don't you try breastfeeding a couple of times a day? It is the perfect food for a baby, and the reason why you have breasts. You will also save a lot of money by using less formula.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:50 AM on May. 17, 2009

• just nurse him, might as well not let that precious milk go to waste.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:36 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Wrap them in cabbage leaves. I have no idea why this works but, the time I worked in lactation that is what we told mama's who didnt want to nurse what to do. Best of luck
    RoJomomtwo

Answer by RoJomomtwo at 12:15 PM on May. 17, 2009

• The slower the weaning, the easier it is on your breasts. Pump and nurse then gradually decrease. It could save you from a terrible breast infection.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:32 PM on May. 17, 2009

• While I think it would be great to give your baby some of that milk, if you really want to stop the milk, check out Sage and other herbs for decreasing milk supply

Sage and peppermint are two common herbs that suppress lactation.

If you continue to produce milk with no stimulation to the breasts and no milk removal, then you should see your doctor.  It can be a sign of an underlying problem.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:13 PM on May. 17, 2009

• OMG!!! Obviously, she IS NOT wanting to breastfeed!! Quit shoving it down her throat!! Goodness sakes!! There are medications you can take to help dry up, so you might want to talk to your doctor. But, a friend of mines youngest turned a year old in January and she can STILL produce breast milk! And she never breast fed either of her children. So, you might just be one of those. Now, it's not like she produces constantly, but if she's well hydrated, and squeezes, it'll come. I'm sure you can talk to your doctor and figure out what's best for you though. Good luck momma, and don't let the lactivsits upset ya! ;)
    Lillysmomma1024

Answer by Lillysmomma1024 at 8:58 PM on May. 17, 2009