What every one should know about antibiotics!

My daughter has been on antibiotics pretty much since she was born... every time she is sick they throw a perscription at us. I am a young mother and didn't really think much about it until recently... but lately I've started to worry about her getting too much antibiotics. So I just did some research and found out that at least twice now they have put her on antibiotics when she most likely did not need them!! I blindy listened to my doctor and did excactly what I was told to do... but I am done being ignorant and possible harming my child just becuase the doctor that is suppose to know whats best to do is an idiot... Just thought I'd post the article about when antibiotics are and aren't neseccary in case any other moms have been tricked into doing the same thing I was.... http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/antibiotics/FL00075/NSECTIONGROUP=2

mrsbvader

Asked by mrsbvader at 9:49 AM on May. 17, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Weird, because all of the doctors I have ever taken my two children to are very cautious to give antibiotics. My daughter, who will be 4 on Friday, has only been on antibiotics 3 times, twice for double ear infections that were severe, and once for walking pneumonia. My son, who will be 2 on the 26th, has been on them twice, both for severe ear infections.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 9:54 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Wow thank you so much. I have to say i have learned alot today.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 9:55 AM on May. 17, 2009

• I've had experience like the first poster. My childs doc only gives antibiotics if he really needs them.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:57 AM on May. 17, 2009

• When she born, she was put on what we were told was preventative treatment antiobiotics becuase my water had been broken for more than 12 hours when she was born. We didn't find out until months later from another doctor that she has an infection in the hospital when she was born... They never even told us that our day old baby was sick!!!
    She was put on them again at 8 weeks old for a very serious uti. She obviously needed them that time. A few weeks later it started trying to come back so she was given another round. When that didn't work she was given yet another round of "stronger" antibiotics.
    A few months later she got a "very slight ear infection" in one ear and was put on them once again.
    A few weeks after that she got a fever and the doc said she had a "sore throat" and he had seen a lot of coughs lately and thought that she was going to develop one and put her on them again.
    After reading that...
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 10:00 AM on May. 17, 2009

• article I now know that in a lot of cases they don't help ear infections. And they usually don't do anything for sore throats and things of that nature... she is still finishing up that last round of them. And never developed any signs of a cough or the runy nose that the doctor predicted. Next time I will make SURE that she NEEDS them before giving them to her!
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 10:01 AM on May. 17, 2009

• This is why I love my sons' pedi's office. I generally go in when they are sick and they check out the boy and usually conclude it is probably viral. They say to wait 3 days and if he isn't better to come back and they will give him meds then. So at that point he would've been sick 1-2 weeks. They want to make sure a kid needs them before giving them. However, sometimes if it is a throat thing or something they will give meds the first time round.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:33 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I don't have that problem, my sons doc only gives antibiotics when he really needs them. Same with my doctor.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:47 PM on May. 17, 2009

• My 13 year old has been on antibiotics twice; once when she gave herself cellutiis by scratching a mosquito bite, and once when she had strep throat.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:39 PM on May. 17, 2009

• OP check out htis book ....
    No More Amoxicillin: Preventing and Treating Ear and Respiratory Infections Without Antibiotics by Mary Ann Ann Block

Cronic infections often are conected to alleriges
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 6:17 PM on May. 17, 2009

• My stepdaughter pops antibiotics like they're candy. Her pediatrician gives them to her for everything. Rather than addressing the reason for her ear infections (mom and grandma's chain smoking), he just writes another prescription. When she comes over for the weekend, she brings the whole pharmacy with her. She's going to be sorry one day when she becomes resistant.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on May. 18, 2009